Underrated N64 Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retrology

Underrated N64 Games?

Postby Retrology » March 22nd, 2016, 1:19 am

Hey guys, I'm looking for some N64 games that you personally think haven't gotten the respect they deserve. Basically, hidden gems to add to my N64 collection.

Any recommendations?

Mario500

Re: Underrated N64 Games?

Postby Mario500 » March 22nd, 2016, 9:17 am

Bomberman Hero.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » March 22nd, 2016, 12:36 pm

It depends on what you mean by "haven't gotten the respect they deserve". For instance, I think that Space Station Silicon Valley is a hidden gem, but the game has a very solid reputation. Anywho, check a few of these out:

Space Station Silicon Valley
Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Mischief Makers
Harvest Moon 64
International Superstar Soccer 64
Micro Machines 64
Wetrix
Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » March 22nd, 2016, 12:42 pm

Body Harvest is probably the second best N64 game ever. It's absolutely amazing. Seriously, it's cheap, give it a shot!

Retrology

Postby Retrology » March 22nd, 2016, 1:50 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:It depends on what you mean by "haven't gotten the respect they deserve". For instance, I think that Space Station Silicon Valley is a hidden gem, but the game has a very solid reputation. Anywho, check a few of these out:

Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Mischief Makers
Harvest Moon 64
Micro Machines 64
Wetrix
Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey

Sadly have only played Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey, but that's one of my favorite multiplayer games on the N64. My friends and I literally play it everyday. Really thinking about getting Blast Corps, and Body Harvest has intrigued me for a while.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 22nd, 2016, 5:24 pm

I'm currently reviewing Mickey's Speedway USA and I can't get over how good it is.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » March 22nd, 2016, 5:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm currently reviewing Mickey's Speedway USA and I can't get over how good it is.

Really? Wow. I've never played it so I can't give my opinion on it, but I've heard people compare it to Diddy Kong Racing (another Rare kart racer) unfavorably.

I think that it came out without the adventure mode despite coming out 3 years later gave it that reputation. Seems a bit unfair, so if your current judgment is final, Dave, then it's good to get an unbiased approach from someone who sees it differently.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 24th, 2016, 2:22 am

JustLikeHeaven wrote:It depends on what you mean by "haven't gotten the respect they deserve". For instance, I think that Space Station Silicon Valley is a hidden gem, but the game has a very solid reputation. Anywho, check a few of these out:

Blast Corps
Body Harvest
Mischief Makers
Harvest Moon 64
Micro Machines 64
Wetrix
Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey

Wow! So close to what I would list. I'm going to have to check out Wetrix since you seem to have the same taste as me. I doubt a lot of people would list Wayne Gretzky, Silicon Valley and Micro Machines but I certainly agree. Those are some of the best 64 games.

I would add to the list of well-respected but obscure games: Snowboard Kids (again, well loved but unknown to many), Rocket: Robot on Wheels (from the developers of Sly Cooper), Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, and Beetle Adventure Racing. I have a soft spot for Glover as well and I don't think it was too poorly reviewed. This little hidden gem called Ocarina of Time is pretty fun too.

As far as games that are actually poorly rated that I enjoy, the first that comes to mind is Castlevania 64. It's by no means perfect, but it ironically captures the spirit of the NES Castlevanias better than Symphony of the Night (which I still acknowledge as a much, much better game). Another game that I think was pretty panned is Chameleon Twist, but I still think it's a great, short and easy platformer. It has a unique mechanic, and feels like it is what a 3d Yoshi game would be. Also I still have a fondness for Gex 2 and 3 (3 is better), but I think they've aged even worse than its contemporary platformers.

Finally, Iggy's Reckin' Balls. It has no single player worth playing but wow it can be a blast to play with friends. My wife and I got into a mood once where we played this against each other for days. Fun fact, it is the only N64 game to have caused a physical fight between my brother and me (and yes we played Mario Party). I really can't describe it other than to say it is a side scrolling platformer racing game, but that description hardly does it justice. Try it! And bring friends!

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » March 24th, 2016, 12:31 pm

CastleVania 64, in my opinion, is one of the BETTER games of that time period, and one of the few that's aged favorably.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 24th, 2016, 9:47 pm

With a friend? Road Rash 64. It's hilarious.

Return to “Classic Gaming”