Where does the time go?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Herschie

Where does the time go?

Postby Herschie » September 24th, 2016, 6:36 pm

I'm moving into a townhouse that's big enough for me to have my own video game room (VGR). I had to share it with my wife, and had to vacate the room whenever she wanted to work out. Well, now all her workout junk is going in the basement in our new place, and I get my VGR.

But that first means that I must pack away all my video game systems. I had like 14 of them hooked up and ready to go. And I was wondering, where does the time go? I packed away my Sega Master System, and it brought back memories of when I was 7, wanting to play Ghostbusters at my friend's house. I'll never forget politely asking his father to hook the system up for us. In fact, it's the very Master System that we'd used to play.

I packed away my N64, and remembered when I was in high school, playing Ocarina of Time when I couldn't get a date (It happened!). All those times I was crazy stoned playing Mariokart 64. I bought my N64 with my 1998 tax refund.

I packed away my Playstation 2, and that brought back memories of when I was 20, wishing my date would leave because Madden 2001 looked absolutely amazing. I ended up trading that PS2 for a pair of Audiobahn subwoofers for my car.

I packed away my NES, and could not forget my friends all getting together and playing. How happy we were when we finally got Bases Loaded. Being disappointed with my version of Ghostbusters when I was in 2nd grade (At least I had that plastic Proton Pack that they always seemd to have at Target). How I couldn't beat Zelda 2 until I was 23. Talking to my friends about how to beat Level 6 in Zelda as we played Kick the Can outside. My dad came home with this one day when i was out playing with some friends, and when I came home, there he was playing Duck Hunt. And I could never forget my mom taking me to Blockbuster before Urkel came on, renting a couple games, and then getting some frozen yogurt. To this day, I still get the taste for it when I play RBI Baseball 2 (I must have rented that a couple times).

I packed away my Gamecube, and this didn't bring back the best of memories. I went through some tough times in life during this era, and in fact it was the last thing my father ever bought for me before he died. I remember my life was going nowhere fast as I would be smoking weed and playing Double Dash while my mom was at work. Although I do remember absolutely loving Madden 2005, which I still play to this day.

I packed away my Super Nintendo, and remembered high school (I bought it off my friend in 1998), wishing that I could afford an N64. Playing Super Mario Kart felt like the next-best thing. However, Zelda did not. I had a lot of fun with this when I was grounded after my mom walked in on me and a girl.

I have other systems too, but they aren't as memorable. I didn't play Atari 2600 much as a kid, and I recently acquired a Colecovision. And I haven't packed my PS4, Wii U, PS3, or Xbox 360.

Video games really are great for bringing back memories. You know, this is an everchanging world, and not always for the better. Your friends move away, people grow old, and unfortunately, people pass on. Your favorite restaurant closes, your mom sells your childhood home. As great as things are now, with a wonderful wife, a good job, and a nice townhouse, I have fond memories of the past.

And that's what I love about video games; Karariko Village will always be just south of the Lost Woods in Link to the Past. Phenandera Drifts will always be where it is in Metroid Prime. That machine gun nest will always be there in Medal of Honor. Heck, people are even nice enough to share retro rosters in Madden and The Show. Nothing quite takes you back like video games, and that's one thing that I love so much about them.

Sut

Re: Where does the time go?

Postby Sut » September 25th, 2016, 2:54 am

Herschie really enjoyed reading your post.
It is very true, personally it's one of the reasons I enjoy retro gaming is for the memories. It is also why I tend to gravitate towards systems I owned back in they day Speccy, ST, MegaDrive, Saturn, etc.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » September 30th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Very well said, Herschie.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 30th, 2016, 5:27 pm

There's a lot of truth in this. My memory is not the greatest when it comes to certain things in life (birthdays, anniversaries) but when it comes to games I have a photographic memory! I have a story for each one.

I remember playing Berzerk in the morning of a delayed school day. I remember playing Streets of Rage with my girlfriend and future wife. I remember running around to find Eternal Champions on a snowy day. I remember showing up first thing in the morning at the mall to pick up my Dreamcast on 9/9/99 (and being the only one there!). I remember sleeping over at Best Buy with a friend to get an PS2. The list goes on...

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 30th, 2016, 8:24 pm

Dave I luv in your reviews of your early games (2600 Chopper Command, Defender) how You tell personal stories about how you first discovered them with friends like Eric, Tuan and so forth. They bring back so many fun memories for me as well. I was enthralled with my 2600. In middle school I used to have a treat a few hours before dinner. Usually graham crackers and ginger ale. Countless days after school playing Homerun, Basketball and Realsports Football. And Adventure as always. Those times were priceless.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 1st, 2016, 11:11 am

Matmico,
Thanks for the feedback. I will try to incorporate more of my experiences into my reviews when possible, to give them a personal touch.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 1st, 2016, 6:38 pm

I was just thinking about this the other day, but with my more modern console options. I was thinking about how I would no doubt be getting an NX in a couple years, and how that'd be the fourth Nintendo console in my life since I started having careers.

The Gamecube I bought in University, but started to really play and post on forums about when I was working at the University while doing my Masters (that's when I started on here).

I got my Wii when me and my fiancee (now wife) moved to take my first job with the public college system.

My Wii U feels like it was bought only a few days ago, but that was bought while living in my previous house, in the last town we lived in, before I moved back here and completely switched careers, and that switch itself was nearly two years ago.

Since I bought the Gamecube I have lived in 6 different apartments, with my parents (first when we moved home), and in two different houses we have owned, across four different towns. I have gotten engaged, married, had two kids, and had three separate career paths. And the Gamecube is only 15. Each of those systems is tied to a different place and point in my life. I imagine it seems silly to other people, but it's like console timelines help me stop and think about how short time is.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 2nd, 2016, 10:03 pm

Good post Herschie. A lot of memories are attached to our gaming. I too remember playing Bases Loaded with some friends. We got so competitive over it. Was it luck or was it skill? We'd argue and talk trash about it. Sometimes we'd play for Garbage Pail Kids cards. I remember playing my friends little brother who was two years younger than us for his Eerie Eric card. I won and he cried and went and told his dad. His dad told me to give his son back his card. I didn't want to, but I didn't want to go home either so I handed over the card. Good times!

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 3rd, 2016, 6:37 am

Im currently going through a divorce and while packing up all of my consoles for the move out (over a year ago), I had the same memories. My Atari 2600, NES, GB, Sega, SNES, N64, 3DO, PS1, and GC are part of the family. I have so many great memories with my 2600 and NES as a kid. It really was a monumental generation to be a part of.

I have recently met a really nice woman, and I picked her up a Wii at my local thrift shop a few weeks ago. We sat on the couch and played SMB3 for over an hour and had some amazing laughs. It really was a great time.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 3rd, 2016, 11:14 pm

Rookie1 wrote:Im currently going through a divorce and while packing up all of my consoles for the move out (over a year ago), I had the same memories. My Atari 2600, NES, GB, Sega, SNES, N64, 3DO, PS1, and GC are part of the family. I have so many great memories with my 2600 and NES as a kid. It really was a monumental generation to be a part of.

I have recently met a really nice woman, and I picked her up a Wii at my local thrift shop a few weeks ago. We sat on the couch and played SMB3 for over an hour and had some amazing laughs. It really was a great time.

I take it your wife is not a gamer, hence the divorce. Just kidding, but maybe not.

Return to “Classic Gaming”