Where does the time go?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Rookie1

Re: Where does the time go?

Postby Rookie1 » October 4th, 2016, 6:08 am

Tron wrote:I take it your wife is not a gamer, hence the divorce. Just kidding, but maybe not.

She hated games, but loved the company of other men. Guess you cant ask for everything :|

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 16th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Sheik wrote: The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...

Sheik wrote: Time passes, people move. Like a river's flow, it never ends. A childish mind will turn to noble ambition. Young love will become deep affection. The clear water's surface reflects growth. Now listen to the Serenade of water to reflect upon yourself.

I visited my mom last night. I always get this feeling of sadness when I visit around the holidays, and I don't know why. I mean, not like she's dead or anything! My father is, but that happened a long time ago. Maybe it's because I remember Christmas as a kid, and how exciting it used to be, and now it's not like that anymore. Maybe it truly is my father, who knows?

I drove by our old house in our old neighborhood last night. It's funny, it always seemed as if I'd be back. I remember last year as I helped her move, I came across all the things I started working on over the years that I never quite got around to doing. Like the train set my dad and I started in the early 90s, that we never completed. Or my car stereo that I started in 2002 that I never finished. My jeans from high school that were long outgrown. In any case, it was a sad day when I moved. When I was young, I put a pitching target on the basement wall that was still there in 2015. All the good times that I had.

The basketball hoop was still there, the same one that my friends and I would play a best-of-7 series on. The woods that were so magical when I was young, where we would play Zelda, using a sword that my parents had bought me at Disney World. That sled hill where you would wind up soaked in the creek if you weren't careful, where I messed up my tailbone sledding down some stairs on November 24th, 1991 (I remember the Dolphins beating the Bears in overtime when I was crying on the couch afterwards). My old back yard where we'd play football at night because we had lights.

I really did have a great childhood. And things change so gradually. There's no black and white where one day you're a kid, the next you're an adult. It's so gradual. It was such a great neighborhood to grow up in, and I have such great memories, from all those times where we'd all be in our Powerwheels, to the times I'd be sneaking a girl out of the house before my parents got home.

But you know what? Things are great now, as well. I'm a homeowner. I have a great family. My wife is downstairs cooking dinner, and I love her so much (For many more reasons than that). I have a great career working for a wonderful company as a salesman. And I've learned to live life as if I'm going to be cherishing this moment ten years from now.

Rookie1 wrote:
She hated games, but loved the company of other men. Guess you cant ask for everything :|

Man, I am so sorry about that. A woman who you love, who you fully expect to spend the rest of your life with, and she pulls something like that. I truly hope that the right woman finds you, and soon.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 11th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Random thought of the day; remember when our parents talked about how things were 20 years ago and they were referring to the 70s?

That was 20 years ago.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm

What gets me is when I'm talking about a movie or album I consider to be fairly recent, and realize the person I am talking to wasn't even born yet when it was made! The Foo Fighters is classic rock! Pulp Fiction is a vintage talkie!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » January 12th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Holy s#$@ time does fly. Working to fight off my worst bout of depression ever. No fun. I know times are always changing and life goes on. But I childhood to adulthood changed so fast for me. I could hardly get a date in HS and at 23 I was making love to a woman I couldn't have dreamed of having. Hence a divorce about a decade later and trying not to drudge up every memory. Childhood truly is magical.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 9th, 2022, 1:29 pm

This is hitting me pretty hard right now. It's been about ten years since my father died, and it only occurred to me because I was playing Kaboom, a game my dad used to love. Never would have guessed that a man born in 1938 would care about such silly things, but he would get hooked on that freakin' game!

So I guess in a way, gaming brought that memory back to me. I still miss him greatly. In less than a year I'll be fifty. Kind of does things to you, doesn't it? 20 years ago, I was 29. Relatively youthful, quite healthy (though 2 years later I'd suffer a near fatal skateboarding accident that caused me to give it up near completely), still had both of my parents, and a lot of perceived years ahead of me. But 20 years from the present day? I'm going to be an old man, albeit with a funny age. 24 years from now, I'll be the exact age my father was when he died. But 24 years ago, I was 25, and on top of the world playing Crash Bandicoot 2 on my PlayStation.

Each console generation seems to represent a different era of my life (though I haven't actively played on a new console since the Wii U, though I noodle with my Switch a bit). The Atari 2600 was my first true love, and throughout the 80's I enjoyed various platforms. My setup was insane. That big L shaped desk in the corner of my room was a godsend. I had a great home computer setup, and I also had an Atari 2600 right there to play on. The countless hours I'd spend right at the end of Autumn up there, it was magic. That lovely end-of-summer humid heat just surrounding you, the smells of whatever was in the carpet creeping up and entering your nostrils, all while trying to kick GORF's ass. I'd have friends call me on the phone (for free via some phreaking software we all had back in the day) and we'd exchange games by playing our C64 cassettes over the phone to record on our own cassette recorders. That was the life.

Sorry for the rambling reminiscence. But this post really rings true. The time just flies away!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » September 10th, 2022, 9:43 am

Robotrek wrote:This is hitting me pretty hard right now. It's been about ten years since my father died, and it only occurred to me because I was playing Kaboom, a game my dad used to love. Never would have guessed that a man born in 1938 would care about such silly things, but he would get hooked on that freakin' game!

So I guess in a way, gaming brought that memory back to me. I still miss him greatly. In less than a year I'll be fifty. Kind of does things to you, doesn't it? 20 years ago, I was 29. Relatively youthful, quite healthy (though 2 years later I'd suffer a near fatal skateboarding accident that caused me to give it up near completely), still had both of my parents, and a lot of perceived years ahead of me. But 20 years from the present day? I'm going to be an old man, albeit with a funny age. 24 years from now, I'll be the exact age my father was when he died. But 24 years ago, I was 25, and on top of the world playing Crash Bandicoot 2 on my PlayStation.

Each console generation seems to represent a different era of my life (though I haven't actively played on a new console since the Wii U, though I noodle with my Switch a bit). The Atari 2600 was my first true love, and throughout the 80's I enjoyed various platforms. My setup was insane. That big L shaped desk in the corner of my room was a godsend. I had a great home computer setup, and I also had an Atari 2600 right there to play on. The countless hours I'd spend right at the end of Autumn up there, it was magic. That lovely end-of-summer humid heat just surrounding you, the smells of whatever was in the carpet creeping up and entering your nostrils, all while trying to kick GORF's ass. I'd have friends call me on the phone (for free via some phreaking software we all had back in the day) and we'd exchange games by playing our C64 cassettes over the phone to record on our own cassette recorders. That was the life.

Sorry for the rambling reminiscence. But this post really rings true. The time just flies away!

GREAT post! I feel the same way, although my Dad has been gone way longer than yours (I was 26 when he passed, which now was 26 years ago) and I have to tell you you'll never stop missing him. He was never a gamer in any sort of the word, but he would occasionally feign interest in some random game I was playing; I guess just so that we'd have a little 'connection' time? As I got older and had kids of my own though, what you say about consoles representing a significant chapter in your life really hits home.

I remember playing Genesis and SNES games with my kids when they were really young, then later N64 (LOTS of Diddy Kong racing and Mario Kart 64) and eventually on to the PS1/PS2/Xbox/GameCube era. They started leaving home as the Xbox 360 took center stage in our lives (and PS3 for my oldest, PC for my youngest, with a Wii hanging around for general usage), and we finally declared ourselves empty nesters as the PS4 and Xbox One became the predominant consoles. I think my middle son, the last to move out, purchased himself an Xbox One a year or so before he left but I never did any gaming on it myself and it didn't appear all that different game-wise from the 360 so it doesn't really resonate with me the same way the other consoles do.

The release of the Dreamcast also marks a significant new chapter in my life, as I had just both gotten my divorce from my first wife finalized the month before (August of 1999) and started a new job in a new office... the one where, coincidentally, I would meet and become friends with the Critic himself. This is also what sparked my own renewed interest in 'retro' gaming, and got me back into collecting and playing old C64 titles.

Return to “Classic Gaming”