Playing Game Gear on TV

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
goldenband

Re: Playing Game Gear on TV

Postby goldenband » June 8th, 2017, 12:17 am

I used to enjoy playing Game Gear (and SG-1000) games on my Dreamcast using the CrabEmu emulator. I found it to be a good way of splitting the difference, so to speak, since you're at least playing on a real game console and (in my case) outputting the result to a CRT.

Now, of course, I have a recapped Game Gear with an EverDrive, but the awful screen really sucks a lot of the fun out of it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 8th, 2017, 4:57 pm

I should also mention another big reason I want to play these games on a TV.
I tend to review games with friends, but it's really hard to do with a handheld.
I need to be able to look on and see what's happening.

djc

Postby djc » June 8th, 2017, 11:59 pm

I know a lot of people take issue with Hyperkin for the use of the emulation stack in the Retron5 but it really is a very good console. I personally love having one as it makes it significantly easier for quick plays for a number of my systems without having to hook the actual consoles up.

The three-in-one adapter plays Sega Master System, Game Gear, and Sega Card games. I don't know if peripherals like the 3D glasses will work with it but the actual game emulation is pretty spot on.

As an added bonus, certain SMS/GG games support the same FM sound chip found in the Genesis and in the Retron5, you have the option of using the emulated Genesis sound hardware to play the games which gives some of them improved audio and sound effects.

Return to “Classic Gaming”