SNES Classic Announced

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
eneuman96

Re: SNES Classic Announced

Postby eneuman96 » June 27th, 2017, 7:13 pm

pacman000 wrote:Personally, I'd rather buy one of the licensed Sega Genesis clones w/built in games. They have a cartridge slot; Nintendon't.

Those things aren't worth it, trust me. They may be much easier to find than the NES Classic was and most likely this one as well, but it's obvious that they're very cheaply manufactured and the sound quality is terrible. You're better off getting an original Genesis and a flash cart.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 27th, 2017, 8:56 pm

AtGames has only released a few seconds of footage, but Sonic sounded fine.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 28th, 2017, 1:36 am

I didn't get roped in by the NES Classic, mainly because I refuse to play the scalpers' little game! Also, I owned the majority of the NES games on VC, so it was pretty low priority.

This is different.

Final Fantasy III (VI) is my all time favorite snes game and, to be honest, every poet that I've played felt like a hollow shadow of the original. Combine that with the first rerelease of Starfox and the snes version of Yoshi's Island, as well the official release of Starfox 2, and this becomes something that I must own!

I'm taking the 29th off, and I will be camping out at Best Buy at 10:00 PM the night before, if not earlier! Is it potentially worth the $200+ that the vultures will charge? Absolutely! Based on principle, though, they won't see a dime from me!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 28th, 2017, 7:34 am

I'm not surprised by the number of games since if we multiply by the $8 Virtual Console price, this is equivalent to last year's 30 NES games, value wise. But I still can't help thinking about what could've been here had it been 25.

Staying with the theme they have going rather than adding different publishers to the mix, I'd of tossed in the two Donkey Kong Country sequels, Stunt Race FX (The only missing 1st party Super FX game), re-license Sim City, and add Pilotwings to the mix. Then we'd have 25 + 1 games here, rather than the 21 that we do have.

And if I really want to start with wishful thinking, I'd fly with the unreleased theme and include some Satellaview games as bonuses. Add the rumored cartridge release that combined BS F-Zero Grand Prix and BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2 for the West and piece together BS The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets into a playable game.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 28th, 2017, 7:39 am

I ended up getting my NES Classic for the regular price, though it was bundled with some stuff, from GameStop....but I had to wait about 3-4 months.

Supposedly there will be a preorder. If I can purchase it online or without any hassle, I'll get it, but I'm not camping out again. That was a fruitless and frustrating experience.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » June 28th, 2017, 3:24 pm

It looks like some of the scalper auctions for pre-orders are already being shutdown by eBay. eBay should really put a stop to people selling pre-orders for an item that the seller doesn't have in hand and won't have in hand for at least 90 days. Not even just shutting down their auction, these scalpers needs sanctions leveled against them if they keep trying to skirt the rules, like losing account access for a time, or perhaps being blasted with a "fraudulent" tag or icon on their account page for a period of time. If they're forced to create a new account with 0 feedback that might discourage people from buying from them. 0 feedback sellers always throw up red flags to me anyway. Also, doesn't PayPal have a 45 day statute of limitations for making claims against a deadbeat seller? If that's still true that seems like it would be blatantly against eBay's rules. This whole situation is just disgusting.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » June 30th, 2017, 3:40 am

SNES Classic 2:

Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Mario All-Stars
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Pilotwings
Kirby's Avalanche
Tetris Attack
Mario Paint
Killer Instinct
Stunt Racer FX

Also those non-Nintendo games would be great, but probably not likely:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fight
Turtles Hyperstone Heist
ActRaiser
ActRaiser 2
Breath of Fire
ClayFighter
Mickey Mania
Earthworm Jim
Killer Instinct

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 1st, 2017, 8:30 pm

How about for the SNES Classic 2 the following:

Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma (never released in the US, but I believe it was released in the EU). Has anyone tried it?

And I couldn't agree more with adding ActRaiser 1 and 2. On the off chance we get some goofy ones how about the following:

Tactics of Ogre
Firepower 2000

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » July 1st, 2017, 10:51 pm

@CaptainCruch

I'd like to know why Killer Instinct wasn't included on the SNES Classic in the first place. I mean, wasn't that a pretty popular game in both the arcades and on the SNES back in the day? It would have been a fine addition to an already impressive list of games imho.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 1st, 2017, 11:10 pm

lynchie137 wrote:@CaptainCruch

I'd like to know why Killer Instinct wasn't included on the SNES Classic in the first place. I mean, wasn't that a pretty popular game in both the arcades and on the SNES back in the day? It would have been a fine addition to an already impressive list of games imho.

They've left out a lot of what I'd have thought would be obvious choices, like Chrono Trigger, and Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3. Even so, what they do have is pretty good so I'm not complaining (too loudly)

Return to “Classic Gaming”