I have a bad feeling about the future of the Virtual Console

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

I have a bad feeling about the future of the Virtual Console

Postby BanjoPickles » August 12th, 2017, 2:32 am

We're five months into the lifespan of Switch, and there still hasn't been a single word about the Virtual Console. No word on transfers (a feature that the Wii U had on day one), or---we'll, anything else.

I've started thinking that there's a chance that there won't be a VC on Switch, that the online features that were vaguely touched upon may be the replacement. Between that, and the Classic series of consoles, perhaps Nintendo is taking their typical "good enough" approach?

I'm sure that Nintendo is cognizant of the fact that they can't just trot out their usual suspects and expect people to pay a second, third, or fourth time! They probably feel as though thy need a new approach, and we saw the sudden drop in interest from every third party that wasn't Capcom and Konami, and there's only so many games that those two companies can rerelease. I would love to have a portable GameCube, but I'm really starting to see that as being nothing more than a pipe dream.

I really do believe that if it was coming, Nintendo would have made some sort of announcement, especially considering that they're well aware that many people typically sell off their previous generation hardware to soften the blow, but they transfer their files so they don't lose them.

What do you think? I think that it's finished.

Voor

Re: I have a bad feeling about the future of the Virtual Console

Postby Voor » August 12th, 2017, 9:59 am

It's an interesting thought, particularly paired with the Classic consoles, but it would only make sense if Nintendo kept the Classic consoles in production full time (as a replacement for the VC).

Those Classic consoles are so limited, it's not really a replacement. Nintendo has something up their sleeve with the Switch's VC access, but I don't know what it is. I'm guessing they are either to wait to release it with GC games, or are fully waiting for the Wii U to fade out, or after the 2DSxl and SNES classic initial sales go down.

Rookie1

Re: I have a bad feeling about the future of the Virtual Console

Postby Rookie1 » August 21st, 2017, 6:42 am

Its the end of August, and still there are no Switches on the shelf in my area. Nothing at any store. Bone dry. I see stores setting up holiday stuff already. My local dollar store set up halloween 2 weeks ago, meaning they will probably be setting up christmas september 1st.

With that I say, wtf is Nintendo doing? You have had 6 months to get things on the shelf, yet still we have nothing and the online features are still non existent. People are going to start buying Christmas gifts in the next few weeks, but they wont be buying Switches, because there are none.

This whole console has seemed like a miss-step from day one if you ask me.

Return to “Classic Gaming”