Question on the Sega Saturn vs the Sega Dreamcast library?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JWK

Re: Question on the Sega Saturn vs the Sega Dreamcast library?

Postby JWK » September 25th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Retro STrife spoke the truth on comparing genres between the Dreamcast and Saturn. Only fighting games is going to be an actual contest. Everything else is pretty cut and dry.

I think Inwould give the slightest edge to the Dreamcast's 2D fighters; SF III Third Strike, Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2, The Last Blade 2 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves vs. the Saturn's X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel vs Street Fighter, Real Bout: Fatal Fury Special and the best version of Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3. But in the end, it's just the best home console fighting library vs the second best, right? My apologies to the Neo Geo...

But everything else is pretty easy to pick a winner. Anything that's 2D = Saturn. Anything that's 3D = Dreamcast. RPGs = Saturn. I'll probably get some flack for this, but shmups is an *easy* Saturn victory. I've found the shmup library on Dreamcast to be highly overrated, outside of a few legitimately great games like Zero Gunner 2 and Ikaruga. The Saturn just kills it; Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Batsugun, Layer Section, Sokyougurentai, Strikers 1945, Sengoku Blade, etc, etc, etc. Best shmup library in history and a big part of why the Saturn is one of the best (and most underrated) consoles ever.

Alucard1191

Re: Question on the Sega Saturn vs the Sega Dreamcast library?

Postby Alucard1191 » September 27th, 2017, 6:40 pm

I agree with the Saturn being a sort of hidden gem old system. It has aged like fine wine to me personally. While my ps2 gets more play still because it can play both PS1 and 2 games, I've been finding myself gravitating away from the ps1 era of RPGs. I'm finding myself enjoying shining force III more than final fantasy tactics for example. That was never the case when I was younger.

Return to “Classic Gaming”