Best and worst sports consoles

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
lynchie137

Re: Best and worst sports consoles

Postby lynchie137 » November 28th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Best consoles for me when it comes to sports games are the NES and Sega Genesis. And the worst? Probably the Atari 7800. Mainly because there's not a whole lot of sports titles for the system. And the ones they do have tend to be pretty bad.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 28th, 2017, 6:54 pm

All good responses. Can't deny that the Genesis is one fantastic system for sports.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » November 29th, 2017, 7:30 am

pacman000 wrote:Activision skiing on the 2600 looks good, as does Amiga's Mogul Maniac, and HES's My Golf, but I've never played those games.

Activision's Skiing is a fun little game for sure. Simple, but fun. I've spent many an hour playing that one, trying to beat my best time over the years. Heck, I was even playing it on the computer at work the other day haha. Just don't tell anybody, okay? :D

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 29th, 2017, 10:47 am

I can't believe that the 2600 sports library is getting more credit and attention than the Intellivision's.

Also, right now, the PSP blows away every other portable gaming console out of the water when it comes to the sports titles. It's the most underrated system library ever made

Finally: all credit to Sensible Soccer on the SMS, for showing the NES how it's done. The rare time when graphics were sacrificed for play control and fun. Those must be the smallest sprites on the system, but you can see so much of the field. An if those who've seen the code can be trusted, there's too much calculation for each frame for the NES's slower processor to even run the game. (Supposedy, it's why it was also never ported to the C64.)

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 2nd, 2017, 10:51 am

Went through my 2600 games yesterday. I do have a copy of Activision Skiing. Played it and Journey Escape. Something shocking occurred to me: Journey Escape is, in essence, a skiing game. A really trippy skiing game.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 3rd, 2017, 12:20 am

I'll have to check some of these Atari 2600 games out, they sound interesting.

The Xbox was the most powerful system of its generation, compared to the PS2 and Gamecube. However, the awkward placement of what should be the shoulder buttons makes it weird playing sports games. Seems like it's no big deal for baseball, but it was a challenge playing a game of Madden '06. Kudos to Microsoft for fixing the controller for the 360. An I do like how the legendary ESPN NFL 2K5 has actual video clips, compared to the still pictures that the PS2 has. That hard drive was something, and I might just look for one for the PS2 on Ebay.

I remember when I was living at home, I'd hide my weed in that little slot in the back of the PS2.

Return to “Classic Gaming”