Kingdom Hearts: Which is best? Can I play KH2 before KH1?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retro STrife

Kingdom Hearts: Which is best? Can I play KH2 before KH1?

Postby Retro STrife » November 27th, 2017, 3:23 pm

I was a pretty big fan of Squaresoft / Square Enix JPRGs growing up, especially the Final Fantasy series. When Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 came out for PS2, I didn't have the time or interest to play them. But now that they've stood the test of time, I've realized that I need to go back and give them a shot. So, on Black Friday, I bought Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix for PS4.

So now I'm looking for advice.. Which do you prefer between KH1 and KH2? Browsing around the internet, it seems like both are regarded highly, but KH2 is generally considered the better game. For those that have played both, can I play KH2 without playing KH1? If I just play KH2, is it still better than KH1?

I ask because the reality is that I will only ever play one. My RPG time is so limited these days that I'm lucky if I ever start one of the two games, let alone play through both of them. I have googled this question and read other forums, and everyone seems to say things like "you must play KH1 first, in order to truly understand everything happening in KH2". I know that, and I wish I could play both. But for someone that simply can't, what would you recommend?

LoganRuckman

Re: Kingdom Hearts: Which is best? Can I play KH2 before KH1?

Postby LoganRuckman » November 27th, 2017, 6:34 pm

It depends. Do you care about story? Because if you do, you need to play both, and in order for the second one to make any sense, plotwise. If not, go ahead and skip straight to the 2nd.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 27th, 2017, 9:56 pm

Start with the first game and work your way from their, or if you do not care about store. Go strait to # 2.Both games are awesome. Hope Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix comes to the Nintendo Switch someday!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 28th, 2017, 5:15 pm

I would say DEFINITELY play KH1 before KH2. KH2's gameplay is mostly fine but the story is an incoherent mess. The series really derailed after that.

KH1 still isn't what I would consider a great game, but it has its moments. If you're looking for really satisfying RPG mechanics, you won't find them in this series. If you're looking for a relaxing game that won't challenge you too much, it fits the bill.

Return to “Classic Gaming”