PolyMega Retro System

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Atariboy

Re: PolyMega Retro System

Postby Atariboy » April 18th, 2020, 5:02 pm

I don't know about Dreamcast support. Can your average DVD drive read the proprietary GD-ROM format (Essentially a CD derivitive with several hundred MB's of additional storage)?

Dreamcast GD-ROM drives can obviously read CD's, but I'm skeptical that a standard CD-ROM drive (Do they even still make these?) or DVD-ROM drive can read Dreamcast discs.

Same with GameCube and their proprietary mini-DVD derived format.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 18th, 2020, 11:11 pm

Atariboy wrote:I don't know about Dreamcast support. Can your average DVD drive read the proprietary GD-ROM format (Essentially a CD derivitive with several hundred MB's of additional storage)?

Dreamcast GD-ROM drives can obviously read CD's, but I'm skeptical that a standard CD-ROM drive (Do they even still make these?) or DVD-ROM drive can read Dreamcast discs.

Same with GameCube and their proprietary mini-DVD derived format.

It's not designed to support DVD drives or Dreamcast games.

Go here https://www.polymega.com/ to see the full list of consoles supported.

If it supported DVD drives, Gamecube games would be supported. It's just a mini disk format. My PC could read those and I'm guessing yours too if it supported a tray like format for inserting disks.

Regardless, it's not going to support DC or Gamecube.

This is looking like one heck of a nice console. I wished it would play Philips CDI disks. I've got a few and no working console to use for it. Perhaps, it will be updated to support it down the road. Either way, this thing is looking to be a pretty sweet solution for couch gaming.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 19th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Actraiser, what makes you so certain they couldn't add support for additional consoles in the future?

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 19th, 2020, 9:44 pm

It's my understanding that they want to add additional platforms in the future. I believe that's a big reason why they've gone the modular route.

ActRaiser wrote:
Atariboy wrote:I don't know about Dreamcast support. Can your average DVD drive read the proprietary GD-ROM format (Essentially a CD derivitive with several hundred MB's of additional storage)?

It's not designed to support DVD drives or Dreamcast games.

Just to clarify, I wasn't out to suggest that these were future possibilities. I was responding to Shapur and his post that said "from the specs, should they choose to, they shouldn’t have too much trouble adding N64, GameCube and Dreamcast support."

Like you, I disagree on the ease of adding support for the GameCube and Dreamcast. Not only due to their complexity and the horsepower that's needed, but like I was getting at earlier, I believe there are roadblocks with the included disc drive that would be hurdles for them in supporting these disc formats.

That said, I have a suspicion that the Polymega does have a DVD drive. I just can't see there being a demand for computer CD-ROM drives in 2020. With DVD-ROM drives offering backwards compatibility with the CD format and I suspect being cheaper and easier to source, I bet it's what's inside of this.

I've been wrong before though. :)

ActRaiser wrote:
Atariboy wrote:Same with GameCube and their proprietary mini-DVD derived format.

If it supported DVD drives, Gamecube games would be supported. It's just a mini disk format. My PC could read those and I'm guessing yours too if it supported a tray like format for inserting disks.

I understand where the format came from, but it was my understanding that Nintendo did some trickery that made this a difficult proposition?

If my vague memories of 10+ year old forum postings are accurate, aren't GameCube discs read backwards compared to a regular mini-DVD disc (i.e., just enough of a difference to cause problems with stock DVD drives to discourage piracy)?

For instance all the tutorials I've seen for running GameCube games on a Wii U called for the user to rip their discs not from a PC equipped with a DVD drive, but by using a backwards compatible Wii with the Homebrew Channel installed.

Perhaps that tidbit about the GameCube's media was just an urban legend like sometimes gains traction in this hobby?

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 20th, 2020, 7:49 am

I would have bought one for$250 (base unit) and $60 (modules). It's now selling for $400, shipping, July 6th from Walmart! No way I'm spending that much!

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » April 20th, 2020, 8:50 am

noah98 wrote:I would have bought one for$250 (base unit) and $60 (modules). It's now selling for $400, shipping, July 6th from Walmart! No way I'm spending that much!

Yeah. They did have it at $250 way back when they opened up pre-orders, but there were too many unknowns about the system for me at that point.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 20th, 2020, 9:03 am

noah98 wrote:I would have bought one for$250 (base unit) and $60 (modules). It's now selling for $400, shipping, July 6th from Walmart! No way I'm spending that much!

What does the $400 get you? What games can you play?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 20th, 2020, 10:31 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Actraiser, what makes you so certain they couldn't add support for additional consoles in the future?

They certainly could in the future but at launch CDI is not supported.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » April 20th, 2020, 10:53 am

While 400 + modules is a little too much for me, this does actually look really cool. The ability to have many systems in a small unit is really appealing. I live in a small house and having as many systems as I do is a problem. Especially if this thing eventually had DC and N64 support, I could pack up the bulk of my older systems and just keeps the games on a shelf. It would also open up a lot of new systems I don't own, like Neo Geo CD and TurboGraphix. Maybe if I win the lottery during quarantine, lol.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » April 20th, 2020, 10:56 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:

What does the $400 get you? What games can you play?

The Base Unit I believe, which is for just the CD games it supports. Sega CD, Sega Saturn, TurboGrafx CD, Neo Geo CD, PS1.

Return to “Classic Gaming”