Super Mario World vs Donkey Kong Country

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Hagane

Re: Super Mario World vs Donkey Kong Country

Postby Hagane » September 7th, 2018, 5:53 pm

I choose Super Mario World, Donkey kong Country still an awesome game of course, but I prefer Donkey Kong Country 2 over both games.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 7th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I notice a lot of love for DKC 2 going on here. I've never played it, but now I'm intrigued, despite not being that big a fan of DKC 1. Is DKC 2 that much better than DKC 1? I notice the VGC deemed them about equal, giving a B+ to both. I do own DKC 2 and 3, so time is the only thing holding me back from trying it.

It is much better. The first game isn't a whole lot more than straightforward left-to-right running and jumping, but the second really opens up to become a diverse thing of its own. The original Donkey Kong Country is basically a tech demo for its sequel, as far as I'm concerned.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 7th, 2018, 9:07 pm

They are both awesome SNES games but Mario easily takes this. More fun, more things to do, more non-linear, and more innovative. DKC is a well crafted game using classic side scrolling sensibilities but it is a typical linear adventure that is short lived. To me it is fairly typical of the genre but done very well (better than most) rather than being anything particularly novel or groundbreaking outside of the audio-visuals. The graphics and the music were absolutely outstanding at the time.

I would have personally considered a comparison with the Sonic games to be a more apples to apples venture - Mario pretty much is it's own thing.

Retro STrife wrote:I notice a lot of love for DKC 2 going on here. I've never played it, but now I'm intrigued, despite not being that big a fan of DKC 1. Is DKC 2 that much better than DKC 1? I notice the VGC deemed them about equal, giving a B+ to both. I do own DKC 2 and 3, so time is the only thing holding me back from trying it.

Play it, but be forewarned it is quite tough in parts. That one level with many barrels and thorny vines was a royal pain in the $$$$. DKC 2 is a good sequel to DKC, it is harder, more innovative, and has greater variety. Better graphics as well and a similarly outstanding soundtrack. It is probably better than DKC but given I played DKC first way back in 1994, when DKC 2 came out I had moved onto the Playstation and did not pay it much mind. Years later I returned to DKC 2 but it does not conjure up that some nostalgic feeling - DKC is my personal favorite of the SNES trilogy although it you take nostalgia out of the equation, no question DKC2 is an improvement over DKC.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 7th, 2018, 10:12 pm

DrLitch wrote:That one level with many barrels and thorny vines was a royal pain in the $$$$.

Really? If you're talking about Bramble Blast, I always found that one easy. It's almost impossible to die because the barrels always blast you straight into other barrels. Now Bramble Scramble on the other hand... I hated Stickerbrush Symphony for years because how many times that one level made me listen to it.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » September 8th, 2018, 1:54 am

Robotrek wrote:Kirby's Dream Land 3 :lol:

No, in all seriousness, Mario World plays far better. The controls are so tight, it's such an incredible playing game. DKC is solid, but I think without it's fancy graphics people wouldn't think it's great, just an above average platformer. DKC 2 on the other hand, ran with the formula, and is in my opinion, the single greatest platformer ever MADE aside from Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Ooh, that's a hot take if I ever saw one. I've never seen anyone rate KDL3 as their favorite platformer ever. But to be fair, most people haven't played it due to how late it released in the Super Nintendo's life. I haven't played it either, although I will at some point. My personal favorite Kirby game is Crystal Shards on N64, followed by Dream Course on SNES.

Have you ever written a review of it in the Reader's Review section or elsewhere? I'd love to see your thoughts in depth after the high praise you just gave it.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 8th, 2018, 9:45 am

Tough one. I would have said DKC, but I played both recently via snes Classic and SMW has this charm about it that DKC can’t quite match. And, surprisingly, I think it’s stylenof graphics and sound have aged much better. Both are A titles for sure though.

DKC2 gets a lot of love for its increased difficulty and deeper mechanics. Same for SMW2: Yoshi Island (my fave snes platformer, too).

Kirby? Lol. Never played it, but my kids love Return to Dreamland (Wii).

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 8th, 2018, 11:11 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
DrLitch wrote:That one level with many barrels and thorny vines was a royal pain in the $$$$.

Really? If you're talking about Bramble Blast, I always found that one easy. It's almost impossible to die because the barrels always blast you straight into other barrels. Now Bramble Scramble on the other hand... I hated Stickerbrush Symphony for years because how many times that one level made me listen to it.

It will be the one you mentioned. It has been a long time, at least 15 years since I played DKC 2, My inner sanctum only recollects one level with thorns where you died over and over and over again. Yes I think I mixed up the levels.

GTS

Postby GTS » September 8th, 2018, 3:27 pm

I hate to be a downer in every single thread, but I've never been a fan of Super Mario World; at least compared to the other games in the series (I say that even though I've played through it multiple times in my lifetime). The way I felt the first time playing it is the same way I feel today. It just doesn't have the same feel as Mario 3, what I consider a perfect game. Specifically, the music, art style, enemies, and the face they got rid of the tail in favor of the cape. I think the tale should have stayed with Mario throughout the 2D series. I actually prefer Mario 2 (USA) over World.

I do realize I'm comparing it what I consider a perfect game, which is why there's a feeling of disappointment. World is still one of the top platformers on the SNES.

I haven't played DKC enough to offer an opinion, but it definitely demonstrated the SNES graphics can be far better the Genesis ones.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 8th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Oh yeah, if we discuss SMW vs SMB3, I’ll pick Mario 3 every time. It really is the perfect platformer and should that even if you only have 2 buttons, you can do good things with great level design.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 9th, 2018, 10:11 am

Voor wrote:Oh yeah, if we discuss SMW vs SMB3, I’ll pick Mario 3 every time. It really is the perfect platformer and should that even if you only have 2 buttons, you can do good things with great level design.

Mario 3 might just be the best Mario game ever made.

Return to “Classic Gaming”