VGC Anti Atari??

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Re: VGC Anti Atari??

Postby scotland » September 25th, 2018, 2:58 pm

I like the system as is. Its akin to giving stars in a review.

The idea here is for Dave to *rank* the games in a library based on how much fun he had, not bin them into demonstrable a group of good games and a bucket of crap games. Even if he did that, I suspect people would just change the goalposts and start complaining about the games getting a D

Also, many of the games Dave gives low grades to have defenders on this site. For instance, the Odyssey 2 game "Armored Encounter/Sub Chase" gets an F from Dave, while Combat on the Atari 2600 gets a B. Combat is a great game, but Armored Encounter is not that bad, and its far from unplayable. I accept Dave's F because its Dave's opinion, I am nostalgic for the Odyssey 2 and have put lots of hours into this game and its rich uncle, Conquest of the World, and I can write a rebuttal review here if I want.

In other words, Dave's system not only works to rank games, but it inspires conversation about the game and the ranking.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » September 25th, 2018, 5:36 pm

The closest thread I can find is this Atari 7800 thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231157 ... 20%20atari

From what I can tell most posts agree with you; the 7800 might've been a good system, but most games available for it paled in comparison to NES & SMS games.

Never really liked the grade curve; some systems may have a higher proportion of winners to losers, but it's your site.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » October 3rd, 2018, 4:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I've been told that there are actually threads on Atari Age discussing how I am biased AGAINST Atari systems!
Are you guys aware of this? What do YOU think?

I've not run across a thread like that. Mostly when I see mention of you there its due to a new review such as this for Super Cobra Arcade and this where a couple people fell for your April Fools joke (The Hobbit for one guy, Bioshock for another).

Still waiting on Draconian's review ;)

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 3rd, 2018, 10:28 pm

SpiceWare wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I've been told that there are actually threads on Atari Age discussing how I am biased AGAINST Atari systems!
Are you guys aware of this? What do YOU think?

I've not run across a thread like that. Mostly when I see mention of you there its due to a new review such as this for Super Cobra Arcade and this where a couple people fell for your April Fools joke (The Hobbit for one guy, Bioshock for another).

Still waiting on Draconian's review ;)

Funny how people fell for the April Fools Day reviews (Bioshock for the 2600?!? Awesome!!!).

Breaker

Postby Breaker » October 4th, 2018, 10:11 pm

pacman000 wrote:The closest thread I can find is this Atari 7800 thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231157 ... 20%20atari

From what I can tell most posts agree with you; the 7800 might've been a good system, but most games available for it paled in comparison to NES & SMS games.

Never really liked the grade curve; some systems may have a higher proportion of winners to losers, but it's your site.

Finally read that entire thread. There are some posters on there that have sticks really, really far up their butts. Relax, and enjoy video games!

Anyway, this thread brought me back to another thread on here many moons ago:
https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 89#p147789

I knew I was on to something with that grade curve distribution!

Return to “Classic Gaming”