High Def Sega!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
noah98

High Def Sega!

Postby noah98 » October 16th, 2018, 10:38 pm

I already have the Analogue Super NT (SNES), Original NT and AVS (NES), and now Sega Genesis + Master System FPGA is coming soon:

https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/

I really enjoy the quality of their products. I think FPGA is the closest you can get to the real thing, but with the added benefit of HD. It should have no lag and no emulation bugs. Out of the box this will do Sega Genesis and Master System cartridges in HD at a reasonable $190. Also, $10 adapters for Game Gear, SG-1000, Mark III, SC-3000, and Sega My Card. A port to hookup to a Sega CD is also built into the base system.

It's about time Sega got a premium console rerelease. I always fear that when my old CRT's eventually die, my classic games will be unplayable (can't stand old AV to modern TVs, and a Framemaster is not a great solution with scart). These new systems will help preserve the classics. Even my kids are starting to gravitate toward old cartridge gaming. No 50gb installs and day one patches! :lol:

ptdebate

Re: High Def Sega!

Postby ptdebate » October 17th, 2018, 3:07 pm

I LOVE my Analogue Super Nt so being a Genesis/MD fan (honestly more than I am an SNES fan), this will be a day one pickup for me.

noah98

Postby noah98 » October 17th, 2018, 6:42 pm

There are so many great Sega Genesis games like Castlevania Bloodlines, Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi, etc. Very excited for this!

In my original post I meant to say "a Framemeister without SCART" wasn't a great solution.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 17th, 2018, 7:20 pm

This looks pretty cool. I didn't see a price for this, how much do you think it'll run?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 17th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Rev wrote:This looks pretty cool. I didn't see a price for this, how much do you think it'll run?

I read an article about it on Nintendo Life (of all places!) and they said it would run $189. Puts it into the "hmmm" category for me. I still have my classic systems hooked up to an equally classic tube TV, but if I were going to step it up and try to take my games into the HD era, the Genesis is where I would want to start.

I'm tempted, but two hundred bones? At least I have so time to think it over before the system launches.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 17th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Rev wrote:This looks pretty cool. I didn't see a price for this, how much do you think it'll run?

It's at the same price point as the super net, which is $189

noah98

Postby noah98 » October 17th, 2018, 9:11 pm

The fact that it comes with the Master System adapter gives it added value. I have a decent SMS collection, so $190 for both Sega Genesis and SMS is not too bad.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 20th, 2018, 9:05 am

The question is, what does this buy you that Retron or Retrofreak does not?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 20th, 2018, 3:15 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The question is, what does this buy you that Retron or Retrofreak does not?

Absolute cycle accuracy, no emulation.

noah98

Postby noah98 » October 20th, 2018, 7:43 pm

The Retro Freak definitely has really good emulation and you can use an original controller. You can also use a converter for Sega Master System, Game Gear, etc.

The Analogue system is hardware emulation through FPGA. It's the closest you can get to the real thing and also no lag.

However, it's not a must have if you alreay have a Retro Freak. More of an enthusiast piece with excellent build quality.

Return to “Classic Gaming”