Ranking the Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis games

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retrology

Ranking the Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis games

Postby Retrology » October 25th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Let's go, feel free to disagree strongly. Also this is standalone games, otherwise Sonic 3 & Knuckles would be #1.

1. Sonic 2: What more can I say about this game other than it's gaming perfection? Bigger, more fun levels, increased speed, less tedious gameplay, bright graphics, tight controls and a great soundtrack.

2. Sonic 3: First game with a save system. Doesn't play quite as fast as Sonic 2, but still highly entertaining. Love using Tails' flying ability.

3. Sonic 1: I have my issues, but this is still insanely fun and I love the special stages. Certain spots where you're asked to focus on PLATFORMING can be tedious.

4. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: Yeah it's essentially American Puyo Puyo but it's crazy addicting.

5. Sonic and Knuckles: Its good as a standalone game but really comes to life with Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

6. Sonic 3D Blast: I can only enjoy this in small doses, but whenever I do play it I enjoy it a lot.

Sonic Spinball: Very fascinating and unique platform/pinball game. Isn't great but worth playing, insanely hard once you reach level 2.

Voor

Re: Ranking the Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis games

Postby Voor » October 25th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Cool. I’ve only played the originals a handful of times, mostly because I wasn’t that good at them. I’m never sure if the goal is to always be moving fast, or take your time and explore Mario-style.

I’ve been wanting to try again, so I recently picked up Sonic Colors.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 25th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Voor wrote:Cool. I’ve only played the originals a handful of times, mostly because I wasn’t that good at them. I’m never sure if the goal is to always be moving fast, or take your time and explore Mario-style.

hehe, same here. For some reason I thought I was the only one with that opinion. I was a SNES kid growing up and only played Sonic much later in life. But, I always loved the cool, crisp summertime graphics Sonic offered.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 26th, 2018, 3:25 am

Voor wrote:Cool. I’ve only played the originals a handful of times, mostly because I wasn’t that good at them. I’m never sure if the goal is to always be moving fast, or take your time and explore Mario-style.

Take your pick. That's the beauty of them!

Sut

Postby Sut » October 26th, 2018, 3:58 am

I’ve been wanting to try again, so I recently picked up Sonic Colors.

That’s the great thing about them you can play them either way. Orderwise I’m almost in agreement with Retrology apart from Mean Bean. I find that game overly difficult.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » October 26th, 2018, 6:48 am

Again, this list? I cannot rate them fairly, because I played them all as a kid and replayed them all for almost 25 years.... So, a lot of nostalgia here.

1) Sonic 3 & Knuckles - I love the combo. I also love Sonic 3 as a standalone game, especially the save function. I didn't like that Sonic & Knuckles lacked the save function, while that game was released later. I also feel the stages in Sonic 3 are a little more fun than in Sonic & Knuckles.
2) Sonic 2, I admit this is a close one to be number one. Great level designs, fantastic music. Just fun all the way.
3) Sonic 1. Great to start with, but misses the speed of the sequels (expect in the first level). Fantastic music, but also some annoying level designs (Labyrinth Zone, looking at you).
4) Sonic Spinball - I cannot finish it, sometimes I have no clue what to do, but I enjoy the music and the weirdness of Sonic being a pinball.
5) Sonic CD - not mentioned by you, but I'd like to say once more this game is way overrated. The level design are average and the time travel mechanic is just confusing.
6) Sonic 3D Blast - fantastic graphics, excellent gameplay, but to me it's just very boring to play.

Furthermore: I do not see 'Mean Bean Machine' as a real Sonic game.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 26th, 2018, 2:04 pm

I see the Sonic games on genesis as classics, despite not liking all the levels. In the first game, I never really play Labyrinth zone, and I can honestly say I've never beaten the boss for that level.

I like most of the levels in Sonic 2, but I think Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles have long, slow stages that seem to go on for a long time. I can honestly say I rarely get past Flying Battery Zone in Sonic and Knuckles.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 26th, 2018, 5:37 pm

If we are allowed to include Genesis add on's my list is as follows:

1. Sonic 2
2. Sonic 3
3. Sonic 1
4. Sonic and Knuckles
5. Sonic CD (I honestly do not get the fuss with this one, it is quite good but not great)
6. Knuckles Chaotix
7. Sonic 3D Blast

The top 3 could all be ranked about equally though. Sonic 2 my number 1 probably because I liked the Soundtrack on it more than the others. Gameplay wise, the top 3 are pretty much equal. None of these games are bad either, although 3D blast is better if you pretend it is not a Sonic game.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 27th, 2018, 2:49 am

DrLitch wrote:3D blast is better if you pretend it is not a Sonic game.

Yeah it should have been Flicky 3D Blast or Flicky 2 and actually have Flicky as the character not Sonic.. But I suppose this was the start of sticking Sonic’s name on everything for sales.

If I want a quick game I go for Sonic 2 because it scratches that itch fast. But personal fave when I have the time is Sonic 3 - the Ice Cap Zone with Sonic snowboarding with that awesome soundtrack gets me everytime.

Return to “Classic Gaming”