Hard Pass from me on PS1 Classic

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
lynchie137

Re: Hard Pass from me on PS1 Classic

Postby lynchie137 » October 31st, 2018, 4:51 am

Not a bad list per se. But not exactly mindblowing either. Personally, i'd rather see something like Gran Turismo, Wipeout or Ultimate Mortal Kombat on there instead of resident Evil Director's Cut or Mr. Driller.

That being said, I may still buy one if the price is right....

jon

Postby jon » October 31st, 2018, 10:58 am

I was looking last night at gameplay of Crash 3 bc I'm about to buy it. I was also interested bc Crash of course got left out (I heard he's mad). But one thing that struck me was how ugly the graphics were. I literally had a headache within 5 seconds, a typical PS1 headache that I've had lots of times before. Are these PS1 games even playable these days? I haven't played Crash since 2000, and I may still buy the games, but wow, do the graphics look aged.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 31st, 2018, 8:22 pm

Being first-generation polygon graphics, the PS1 graphics look rough. Some however may find the blocky graphics to be charming in the way pixelated 2D graphics are.

But if you don't like the look of Crash 3, that's not a good sign, since the Bandicoot games were some of the best-looking the system has to offer.

jon

Postby jon » October 31st, 2018, 9:41 pm

Sometimes I think it's just me that gets "PS1 headaches". I really liked the Crash games in the 90's, but for whatever reason I didn't get too far into them. I just really enjoyed the first hour or so and lost interest. I'm hoping when I get them I can really get into it, and care about the collecting. I think the PS1 was best at doing dark games that depicted a wasteland environment, because of the cardboard graphics. Twisted Metal 2 was perfect. Wipeout is a great, great looking game too. Actually, 2d games looked way better.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 1st, 2018, 12:10 am

I'd be more forgiving if Japan wasn't getting Parasite Eve vs. our worst possible version of Rainbow 6.

JWK

Postby JWK » November 1st, 2018, 4:36 pm

I haven’t commented on this yet, but like many others here I’m very disappointed in the list. The first five revealed games— Ridge Racer Type 4, FF7, Teken 3, Wild Arms and Jumping Flash— are all excellent. But there’s a reason the whole list wasn’t revealed day 1. Those first five are the best games here (sans MGS).

Crash 3, GRAN Turismo 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Spyro the Dragon, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, FF9, Tony Hawk2, Twisted Metal 2, PaRappa the Rapper, Ape Escape, Soul Blade, Silent Hill, Street Fighter Alpha 3? These games DEFINED the PS1 and they aren’t here. Even deeper cuts like Medievil, Klonoa and Tomba! would be great additions but are also MIA. Remember that a handful of these games— Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Castlevania SotN, Resident Evil 2, PaRappa the Rapper, FF9 and Medievil— have received or *will* received ports or remakes on the PS4 so that may have influenced their exclusion. But FF7 is on the PS4 and the Mini, so I don’t know. It still doesn’t explain the exclusion of other classic games. It also doesn’t explain why Japan exclusively gets two of the system’s best games (Gradius Gaiden, Parasite Eve) and has an overall much better game selection than other regions.

I haven’t been shy about my “meh” attitude about the N64 over the years, but Nintendo will do a much better job with game selection on its 64 Mini than Sony did here. No question.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 1st, 2018, 5:17 pm

I wonder if this couldn't be partially blamed on Sony having to tiptoe around licensing and rights issues. Unlike Nintendo, Sony doesn't own the publishing rights to many of the games on their consoles. I imagine there are a great number of legal hurdles to get over in re-releasing some of these games.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 1st, 2018, 9:50 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:I'd be more forgiving if Japan wasn't getting Parasite Eve vs. our worst possible version of Rainbow 6.

Japan is getting Parasite Eve? That is seriously not fair!

/Used to own both 1+2, I have no clue what happened to them. Maybe I sold them to Gamestop? I genuinely cannot remember where they went.
//In general don't think this is a really good list either, but MGS and Syphon Filter are appealing.

JWK

Postby JWK » November 1st, 2018, 9:57 pm

I’ve thought of that, too, pt. That certainly could be an issue, especially with something like Crash, which is now owned by Activision. But it doesn’t explain why Sony owned games like Parappa and Legend of Dragoon aren’t here. Nintendo’s first party devs created most of the iconic games for the NES, SNES and N64 (Rare being arguable as important on the N64) so I recognize it isn’t apples to apples. And I’m not naive enough to think that getting these third party IP owners to agree to having their ROMs appear on these mini consoles is easy. But the PS1’s legacy and importance to gaming is arguably as iconic as the NES and SNES. It’s just frustrating for me as a fan. I wasn’t really the target demographic since I own basically all the really great PS1 games anyway. It’s just... I don’t know, man. Seems like a really big missed opportunity. I can’t see this thing doing nearly as well as Nintendo’s mini consoles, but who knows? Maybe I’m wrong.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 2nd, 2018, 12:14 am

Rainbow Six on PS1 has a soft spot from me because I never played the PC version before, but it's NOT a good game! ROGUE SPEAR on the other hand, the sequel, would've fit very well!

The list is seriously disappointing. No Parappa? THAT'S A SONY GAME! It would've been so easy to include. They just got lazy.

Return to “Classic Gaming”