Hard Pass from me on PS1 Classic

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Hard Pass from me on PS1 Classic

Postby BanjoPickles » October 29th, 2018, 9:53 am

Maybe I'm alone, but I am profoundly disappointed with the PS1 Classic lineup! No Symphony? No Tomb Raider? No Crash? Who asked for Battle Arena Toshinden? GTA 1? Where is Legend of Dragoon? It's like 70% cult classics, which aren't bad but you don't base a Classic console off of niche titles, which is something Nintendo understood.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/29 ... ll-line-up

What do you guys think?

Verm3

Re: Hard Pass from me on PS1 Classic

Postby Verm3 » October 29th, 2018, 11:17 am

I love Battle Arena Toshinden. But I admit it and Twisted Metal stand out a bit as the only early games selected.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 29th, 2018, 11:27 am

Yeah, disappointing for sure. I'm sure there's some licensing issues that crop up that prevent certain games. Maybe Konami wasn't allowing SOTN on the system for some reason. But overall, I agree it's a mediocre lineup and they could have done better. It's almost like Sony is setting themselves up to release a "Classic 2" down the line, and wants to leave some good games available for it. I give Nintendo credit -- they threw many of their heaviest hitters on their classic consoles, which almost prevents them from doing a sequel system. Sony seems to be doing the opposite approach, leaving their options open - and charging more on top of it ($100).

Despite that, and despite already owning any of the decent games that this comes with, I'll still probably end up getting one. Having owned the PS1 as a teenager, it's influenced my gaming more than any other system - so I might have to own this just for the novelty. But I'm not so sure the general public will be as gracious. From this list, there's only two games that are legitimate classics -- Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid -- and maybe you could squeeze Tekken 3 in there too, although I'm not sure how it holds up today. But it's a steep dropoff after that. Some of these used to be great, but they don't hold up well today, and are mostly only good for nostalgic value or historical value (Resident Evil, Twisted Metal, Syphon Filter) [why no RE 2 or TM 2?...]. Others were good back then and might hold up ok, but aren't good enough to sell the system (Oddworld, Rayman, Jumping Flash) [I think most of the other games fall into this category too]. And there's a few throwaway games here too (Grand Theft Auto 1, Rainbow Six, Battle Arena Toshinden... I hated all of those back when they were new ..and they haven't gotten better since).

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 29th, 2018, 11:28 am

Here's the full list for anyone wondering:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

jon

Postby jon » October 29th, 2018, 2:40 pm

That lineup is one of the biggest ripoffs I've ever seen. Twisted Metal instead of Twisted Metal 2? No Crash Bandicoot? The darn thing should've had all 3. Those are easily some of the most essential PS1 games, and any collection without is ridiculous. It's the freaking mascot for crying out loud.

GTS

Postby GTS » October 29th, 2018, 3:06 pm

With only 20 games, no matter what games they picked, something was going to be left out. Still, those 20 are legitimate classics; lots of franchise starters. As someone who has a rather large PS1 collection, I won't be needing to purchase the the unit, but I'm glad it makes the games more accessible to the public.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 29th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Most notable omissions to me, in order:

1. Crash Bandicoot (at least one of them; either # 1 or 3)
2. At least one Tomb Raider game. (Like Crash, Lara Croft was almost like a mascot for the system, and so belongs on any "classic" PS1 system.)
3. Castlevania: SOTN (IMO Metal Gear Solid is the most timeless classic on the system, but SOTN is a close second)
4. A Gran Turismo game (GT 1 was the best selling game on the system, and GT 2 was #3.. gimme GT2)
5. Tony Hawk series (preferably # 2 or 3)
6. Twisted Metal 2 and Resident Evil 2 (in place of TM1 and RE1)
7. Spyro or Ape Escape (I'd take Crash over these for sure, but at least get one of those if you can't get Crash)
8. Parappa the Rapper

There's plenty of others that would be nice to see, but these are the biggest that come to my mind for me.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 29th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Easy pass, glad I did not preorder. However....
If it is possible to load your own image files on it there could be workarounds to customize list.
Could get Crash 1-3, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Castlevania SOTN on there after all.
Still though, a weak product. What were they thinking with that lineup!

Sut

Postby Sut » October 29th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Apparently they couldn’t get the licence or permission for Crash, Spyro or Tomb Raider.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/arstechn ... s/%3famp=1

All Playstation consoles greatest strength has been brilliant third party support which makes putting together compilations difficult.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 29th, 2018, 9:11 pm

DrLitch wrote:Easy pass, glad I did not preorder. However....
If it is possible to load your own image files on it there could be workarounds to customize list.
Could get Crash 1-3, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Castlevania SOTN on there after all.
Still though, a weak product. What were they thinking with that lineup!

Yeah, that's a terrible list. If they would have announced the full list at the time of the pre-order I would have skipped it. As it's already pre-ordered I'll keep it. My only saving grace is that it won't take someone too long to hack it to allow one to add their own images to it. I could be wrong on that front but I figure I'm okay to risk it.

I had to do a bit of research to see what a few of those games were to be honest. I'm sure they'll all be fine but it's certainly not the list of games I was expecting.

Bummer.

Return to “Classic Gaming”