Double Dragon 2600 vs 7800

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut

Re: Double Dragon 2600 vs 7800

Postby Sut » February 13th, 2019, 2:21 pm

lynchie137 wrote:I could be wrong about this, but I've always felt that it was supposed to be another type of game Sega was gonna release for the Game Gear but then they slapped the Double Dragon license on it at the last minute in an attempt to sell more copies. Like I said, I could be totally off base with this theory. But that's the way I've always felt about this particular port of the DD franchise..

I believe it was Virgin games who released the Game Gear ‘port’ not Sega. But yes I think your theory could well be correct. It just doesn’t seem like a bonafide Double Dragon game.

djc

Re: Double Dragon 2600 vs 7800

Postby djc » February 14th, 2019, 12:56 am

lynchie137 wrote:
Sut wrote:
djc wrote:It's interesting that the handheld versions of Double Dragon (Gameboy, Atari Lynx and later Gameboy Advance) are the best ones out there.

Glad you omitted the Game Gear version which was terrible.

Yeah. That one was pretty bad for sure. And worst of all, it dosen't even feel like a Double Dragon game to me just because you can actually shoot the on screen enemies with a gun. Which seems rather odd for a beat 'em up.

I could be wrong about this, but I've always felt that it was supposed to be another type of game Sega was gonna release for the Game Gear but then they slapped the Double Dragon license on it at the last minute in an attempt to sell more copies. Like I said, I could be totally off base with this theory. But that's the way I've always felt about this particular port of the DD franchise..

This sounds right to me. The Game Gear version has no trademarks of the DD franchise save for the color palette of the protagonist. It feels like a graphic swap of another game.

Return to “Classic Gaming”