NES Controller preference: Original or Dog Bone?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

NES Controller preference: Original or Dog Bone?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2018, 9:53 pm

I think both the NES controller models are pretty comfortable, but I think I prefer the original rectangular version..
My 16-year-old nephew informed me the later, rounded versions were called "dog bones" by kids in-the-know! LOL
Have you even heard that??

For shooters I love my NES Advantage joystick. That was given to me on my birthday by the C64 Critic about 15 years ago!
That thing is built like a tank! Love it!

Thoughts?

Retro STrife

Re: NES Controller preference: Original or Dog Bone?

Postby Retro STrife » November 29th, 2018, 1:20 am

Haha, funny that your 16 year old nephew is educating you about the NES!! To my knowledge, "dog bone controller" is actually the most common name used by retro gamers for that type of controller. However, the controller itself isn't very common, so I think that's why it isn't heard very often. I don't know much about those controllers though... When did it first come out? Was it an official Nintendo controller or just a 3rd party accessory? Did it come with the top-loader NES?

Anyway, my preference is definitely with the original, although the dogbone is good too. It's funny that the NES controller still holds up today as being such a good controller, despite its simplicity and its odd shape. For whatever it's worth, I follow the Tecmo Super Bowl tournament scene a little bit, which is still active with several good-sized tournaments each year (250+ people at the big one in Wisconsin), and it seems like most tournament players prefer using the original NES controller. That game certainly requires precision control for running, and a ton of button-mashing for breaking tackles, so a good controller is mandatory.

Breaker

Re: NES Controller preference: Original or Dog Bone?

Postby Breaker » December 3rd, 2018, 2:15 am

That's actually the only thing I've ever heard it called! I thought that was the common colloquialism! Maybe that just comes from my model train nerdery, too.

Return to “Classic Gaming”