Neo Geo (Non Fighters)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Neo Geo (Non Fighters)

Postby jon » December 17th, 2018, 4:58 pm

I’ve been playing a lot of metal slug lately and just think that the Neo Geos library besides fighters is way underrated. Games like viewpoint and baseball stars 2 just to name a few are incredible and there’s a lot of them. The graphics are so much better than any other console to me

Retro STrife

Re: Neo Geo (Non Fighters)

Postby Retro STrife » December 19th, 2018, 12:39 pm

I have a Neo Geo MVS cabinet and some multi-carts, so I've had a chance to delve pretty far into the library. First, I agree with you about the graphics - I love the look of these games. And I agree that there's great options for the Neo Geo other than just fighting games, shmups, and Metal Slug, which are probably the three things most gamers associate with the system. Shock Troopers, Windjammers, and the Super Sidekicks series are a few other great games that come to mind for me.

That said, I have to admit that I don't play the system much, except when friends or family are over. Since all these games are meant for arcade play, they end up not having as much substance as I'd usually look for in my single-player games. But they're great for multiplayer gaming. I don't care much for fighting games, but everyone else seems to prefer them when they come over. Even my youngest nieces and nephews (under age 5) love the fighting games, because they can just mash buttons and feel like they're doing something.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 19th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Shock Troopers is a cool MERCS clone. Last Resort is a fun horizontal shmup.

Neo Geo did have the best graphics, but graphics aren't everything. I'll take the best SNES games such as Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out, Secret of Mana and DKC over the Neo Geo library any day.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » December 19th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Twinkle Star Sprites.
It's a versus shoot'em up where you create chains of combos to throw projectiles on the enemy.
Goal is to survive the round and have the enemy lose all their HPs.
I really love this game and I bet it's a blast in multiplayer (never had the chance to play it with someone).

Imagine Bust A Move or Puyo Puyo, but for an arcade shoot'em up.

Here's a longplay of the MVS version. (it really starts at around 3:00, before that it shows the tutorials & intro)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEhFh_-DVD8

jon

Postby jon » December 21st, 2018, 10:02 am

To each his own. I don’t like substance in my video games. I especially like reading the storylines with these 90’s action games. The Metal Slug story line is interesting to me. The two main characters Marco and Tarma are resistance fighters or something I can’t understand. They’re friends or something. What I find funny is that when you’re playing metal slug you die every 5 seconds (at least at first) so it’s hysterical that there’s any storyline at all. Super Punchout and DKC over Metal Slug and Viewpoint. Not seeing that.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 21st, 2018, 2:08 pm

jon wrote:To each his own. I don’t like substance in my video games. I especially like reading the storylines with these 90’s action games. The Metal Slug story line is interesting to me. The two main characters Marco and Tarma are resistance fighters or something I can’t understand. They’re friends or something. What I find funny is that when you’re playing metal slug you die every 5 seconds (at least at first) so it’s hysterical that there’s any storyline at all. Super Punchout and DKC over Metal Slug and Viewpoint. Not seeing that.

Super Punchout and DKC are just more fun than the Neo Geo games which tend to be frustrating quarter munchers especially Viewpoint. I really like Metal Slug but not a much as the best SNES games.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 25th, 2018, 10:17 pm

The Neo Geo is so bizarre. How often does a console specialize in just one type of game, competing with it's own best efforts, until the best of the best are some of the best games ever made in that genre? And then they keep improving on that formula for over a decade?

For fighting game fans like me, it's like they completely ignored common sense and just read my wishlist. If it wasn't for Super Metroid, this would be my favorite 16-bit console of all time.

Still, even acknowledging SNK's madness, the system really deserves more credit. How often do golf enthusiasts rave about retro arcade versions of the sport? How often do people who won't play other golf games agree with them? How were there two isometric overhead 2d racing games on the system, in 1996?

The Neo Geo is filled with quality titles for very niche markets.

And sure, their shmup library may be filled with quarter munchers, but they're the best kind of quarter munchers. You either play them to master them, or you're like me, and just want a quick rush of adrenaline, stunning pixel art and a "one more try" feeling of absolute confidence that you can do better.

Ultimately, while it will never be listed among the best libraries, the Neo Geo is just the realization of what Sega had promised with the Master System and the Genesis - bringing the late 80's to early 90's arcade experience to a home console. It completely spoils those of us who loved it all, without apology or shame.

Back then, it was needed, in an industry that was quick to abandon every success in the pursuit of new trends.

jon

Postby jon » December 26th, 2018, 11:41 am

I agree with everything. What a great post. I think people are wimps for complaining about the difficulty level. I love the heat of the chase, the incredible pain you feel when you die just before beating it on one credit, and of course the feeling of accomplishment when you do. It takes weeks or months with a lot of these games. That’s replay value if you ask me. Another wonderful thing about the system was that it lasted from 1990-2005 and that’s not really the whole story because the past dozen years the Neo Dev team has been making games. In fact Kraut Buster a Metal Slug clone is about to be released. This proves that there’s a fan base of loyal fans. It really is the best system.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » January 3rd, 2019, 2:51 pm

Well, I do have Pulstar downloaded on my Switch, and it is a very good shmup. I feel like besides fighters, it seems like the Neo Geo has an awesome library of shmups and run and guns.

Return to “Classic Gaming”