HD Retrovision Component cables for retro consoles???

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JWK

HD Retrovision Component cables for retro consoles???

Postby JWK » February 4th, 2019, 5:43 pm

https://www.hdretrovision.com

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with these cables. I just found out about them this past weekend, but I guess they’ve been around for a couple years. They have component cables for SNES and Model 2 Genesis and then some adapters for Saturn, PS1 and Model 1 Genesis. I’ve always wanted good quality visuals from my retro consoles but wasn’t willing to do RGB mods or buy a framemeister. I absolutely love FPGA solutions for NES, SNES (and soon to be Megadrive/Genesis and Master System), but those only offer HDMI out (barring the $1000+ aftermarket prices Analogue NT Mini) and can only be used on modern TVs. I have Homebrew on one of my Wii’s (hooked up via Component), but some of the emulation has lag and sound issues. These component cables seem like a great solution for original hardware on a CRT with the best possible signal (again, short of RGB mods and a professional video monitor). But I wanted to get the forum’s view on them before I put $70 (per cable) toward one of these things. Let me know and thanks as always!

envytomdead

Re: HD Retrovision Component cables for retro consoles???

Postby envytomdead » February 12th, 2019, 8:49 pm

I'm curious about this too. I'm trying to figure out sms/genesis solution for my HD tv. I trying to decide between these cables, mega retron HD or retron 5.

envytomdead

Postby envytomdead » July 13th, 2019, 9:36 am

JWK wrote:https://www.hdretrovision.com

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with these cables. I just found out about them this past weekend, but I guess they’ve been around for a couple years. They have component cables for SNES and Model 2 Genesis and then some adapters for Saturn, PS1 and Model 1 Genesis. I’ve always wanted good quality visuals from my retro consoles but wasn’t willing to do RGB mods or buy a framemeister. I absolutely love FPGA solutions for NES, SNES (and soon to be Megadrive/Genesis and Master System), but those only offer HDMI out (barring the $1000+ aftermarket prices Analogue NT Mini) and can only be used on modern TVs. I have Homebrew on one of my Wii’s (hooked up via Component), but some of the emulation has lag and sound issues. These component cables seem like a great solution for original hardware on a CRT with the best possible signal (again, short of RGB mods and a professional video monitor). But I wanted to get the forum’s view on them before I put $70 (per cable) toward one of these things. Let me know and thanks as always!

i just picked up the Genesis version. You have to make sure your tv can handle 240p via component. Mine couldn't so I also had to get a RetroTink 2x. The combo is remarkable I must say. You will still see the overscan borders on the games that have them but it looks really sharp. The RetroTink doesn't produce any noticeable lag.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 13th, 2019, 10:16 am

Worth noting that you only have to ensure that your display supports 240p via component if it's a HDTV.

Standard definition CRT's with component inputs have no such issue. So if one is buying these to use with a nice North American CRT from the early 2000's, you're good to go if your set has component jacks.

Return to “Classic Gaming”