Game store moral dilemma

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ptdebate

Re: Game store moral dilemma

Postby ptdebate » March 17th, 2019, 6:35 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Buy, play, and resell. :D

It's only a 20 hour game, and mostly linear (i.e., not much side-questing to do), so it's manageable to finish quickly. You could have it in and out within a month. I actually prefer PDS over any of the Final Fantasy RPGs - it's my favorite RPG that I've ever played.

Anyone wanna let me borrow a Saturn? Lol.

Well, since typing that last post I was able to make a deal on a modded HiSaturn and a bootleg copy of Saga! I'm trading an RGB-modded N64 for it. Not a bad deal!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » March 17th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Buy, play, and resell. :D

It's only a 20 hour game, and mostly linear (i.e., not much side-questing to do), so it's manageable to finish quickly. You could have it in and out within a month. I actually prefer PDS over any of the Final Fantasy RPGs - it's my favorite RPG that I've ever played.

I fully subscribe to this point of view. As much as I hate how much older games seem to go for online these days, the cycle of finding an affordable (or affordable-ish) copy, playing through it, then selling it when you're done makes for a smart investment. This way, even an expensive game turns into a long-term rental, with no due date. If you plan on selling it, you don't have to obsess over finding a collector-quality copy, either. Take your time playing through it, then when you're done, sell it online and get most of your money back. Besides, it's not like many of these older games are going to drop in value at this point, amirite??

I don't think I've ever responded to one of your posts before, Retro, but I couldn't resist. While I am by no means the biggest fan of RPG games, I, too, think PD Saga is superior to the Final Fantasy games of the same era. The basis of that is because of the game's 20-ish hour length. It's just long enough to feel satisfying without dragging on (or, dare I say, "Panzer Dragging-on?" No? Too much??) and the game's short length makes a playthrough feel manageable, without an extended time commitment.

Part of the reason why I have so much trouble re-playing any RPGs from my youth is due to their inherent length. My playthrough of Final Fantasy III (or VI, if you prefer) on the SNES took me a little over 70 hours back when I was in high school. While I have fond memories of the game, its story scenarios, and its music, as many times as I've tried to re-play it over the years, I just get to a point where I can't handle the grind anymore. Man, those older games really needed some sort of fast-forward button!

On a related note, here's another scorching hot take: I'd take Phantasy Star IV on the Sega Genesis over any Final Fantasy game of the era, too. Rockin' soundtrack, excellent official translation (especially by 1994 standards), fast pacing, and a relatively manageable length, even with the side quests involved. Now there's a game I actually *have* been able to play through a few times over the years, and each time I do, I never regret it. Recommended, to one and all!

Tron

Postby Tron » April 4th, 2019, 12:51 pm

She’s probably a dope addict that heisted it from a gamer like us.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 6th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Tron wrote:She’s probably a dope addict that heisted it from a gamer like us.

She was selling off her deceased husband's collection in order to make ends meet.

Return to “Classic Gaming”