Doubt about reviews and emulation

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
bigladiesman

Doubt about reviews and emulation

Postby bigladiesman » April 2nd, 2019, 4:35 pm

A region-free NES (modern clone), two Master System converters (Master Gear and Everdrive X5), a Mega Drive, a Game Boy and a Game Gear. I seldom use my GBA and my PSX. This is the real retro hardware I have in my collection.

I played other video game systems o this site via emulation, and I would like to comment on them, but I don't know if it's fair game :oops: : As a niewbie on this veteran site, I need advice on this. Is reviewing emulated games legit?

Thanks.

Stalvern

Re: Doubt about reviews and emulation

Postby Stalvern » April 2nd, 2019, 7:16 pm

Emulation is pretty damn good in 2019. You're not going to have a meaningfully compromised experience with these games like you would have 15 or 20 years ago. It's totally fair game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 2nd, 2019, 7:30 pm

I agree with Stalvern. It's getting harder to track down a lot of these old games (with working systems) so emulation is a reasonable alternative. Emulation will never be 100% but it's probably 99% for some systems.

If in doubt you can always offer a disclaimer that you're playing an emulated version. I don't think anybody would hold it against you.

bigladiesman

Postby bigladiesman » April 2nd, 2019, 9:58 pm

I'll put a disclaimer, then. Thanks, guys!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 13th, 2019, 9:25 pm

If you're playing any of the old games on a modern system... it's emulation anyway, so it's all fair game.

ProTip: get a SNES Classic Mini (official emulation) and fill it with classic ROMs from your favorite systems. https://snesclassicmods.com/

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » April 13th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:If you're playing any of the old games on a modern system... it's emulation anyway, so it's all fair game.

ProTip: get a SNES Classic Mini (official emulation) and fill it with classic ROMs from your favorite systems. https://snesclassicmods.com/

Why not just get a Pi at that point?

Mr SQL

Postby Mr SQL » April 23rd, 2019, 2:54 am

Yes mostly, but sometimes something can be lost with emulation.

I just released two new Space invaders games for the Atari 2600 that push the video and audio. They look and sound great in emulation but you'll need either a classic console or the Retron 77 console upgraded to Stella 6 for the best audio visual experience.

SuperChargerSpaceInvadersBoysAndGirls.jpg
SuperChargerSpaceInvadersBoysAndGirls.jpg (18.83 KiB) Viewed 957 times

Play online here:
SuperCharger SpaceInvaders Boys
SuperCharger SpaceInvaders Girls

Return to “Classic Gaming”