Saturn Virtua Fighter?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Saturn Virtua Fighter?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2019, 3:42 pm

So I was taking another look at Virtua Fighter 2 for the Saturn on the recommendation of a reader, and it occurred to me - was the first Virtua Fighter released for that system?

A quick look at Ebay did show a number of Virtua Fighter listings - but for the disc only. Was it never officially released?

No links please - just info.

Sonicx9

Re: Saturn Virtua Fighter?

Postby Sonicx9 » April 29th, 2019, 3:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I was taking another look at Virtua Fighter 2 for the Saturn on the recommendation of a reader, and it occurred to me - was the first Virtua Fighter released for that system?

A quick look at Ebay did show a number of Virtua Fighter listings - but for the disc only. Was it never officially released?

No links please - just info.

Critic their are actually two Sega Saturn versions of the game, vanelia 1994 (Japan launch and later US and EU launch in 1995), and the improved Remix edition released later on. And the first one was released in the US as a pack in game for Sega Saturn never a stand alone purchase. The Remix version did however and it actually was given away for free because people had problems with the original release.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 29th, 2019, 5:08 pm

I think Sonicx's info is spot on. The only one I can confirm for sure is Virtua Fighter Remix, because I own that one. But based on a google search, it looks like Virtua Fighter was released in the US too. It might have only been released in a jewel case version rather than a longbox.

Boy do I hate the Virtua Fighter games though. I can understand the appeal in the mid-90s (maybe), but to me they're just a blocky mess now. In fact, they were a blocky mess by the late 90s too.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 29th, 2019, 6:48 pm

The Virtua Fighter 2 review made me raise an eyebrow reading it just now.

"Setting the standard for Saturn fighters, Virtua Fighter 2 delivers fluid fighting action that demands good technique."

This game got a C+. Is the standard really that low on the Saturn? I don't think another system short of the Neo Geo is more famed for its fighting games. And this game came out the same year as Street Fighter Alpha.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » April 29th, 2019, 7:27 pm

The other users on this board are correct. The original Virtua Fighter was, indeed, a pack-in title with the first run of consoles in the US. It came in a cheap cardboard sleeve / slipcase, the kind that was common with promo CDs or singles back in the day. I think Wii Sports came in a similar sleeve when it was packed-in with the Wii, along with Link's Crossbow Training with the Wii Zapper. One of the first things I did when I got the Saturn system was cut out the front of that cardboard sleeve and insert it into a standard jewel case. Not that the game was really worth protecting, though - as several others have mentioned, it wasn't very good.

Remix was offered a little while later as a mail-away offer for people that already owned the first disc. Sega was pretty good about this and, in my experience, didn't even need me to send the original game back to them to obtain the Remix version. I called them up, explained that I heard about the offer in GamePro Magazine, and they apologized, took my address, and sent me the game disc, no questions asked. It, too, came in a cheap cardboard slipcase.

I have seen other versions of the game over time that came in a full CD case with a manual and rear insert, but me, I was happy with just the disc. It's worth mentioning that I have never seen the Remix version of the game in one of the "long box" Saturn cases, only in a standard CD case size. Still, I'm glad that Sega took the time to put out a better version of the game and offer it as an apology to their fans and early adopters. Truthfully, it was a much better game than the pack-in title. Wound up selling the first disc to FuncoLand for $12 in store credit and never looked back.

For my money, the 32X version is hands-down better than both the original Saturn release and the Remix version. But when it comes to 32-bit Virtua Fighter, nothing touches VF2 on the Saturn. Glad you're giving it a second look, Critic.

SavagePencil

Postby SavagePencil » April 29th, 2019, 8:08 pm

This site has a scan for the long box version of Remix: https://segaretro.org/Virtua_Fighter_Remix

There was a long box version of the original, but only in Europe: https://segaretro.org/Virtua_Fighter

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Stalvern wrote:The Virtua Fighter 2 review made me raise an eyebrow reading it just now.

"Setting the standard for Saturn fighters, Virtua Fighter 2 delivers fluid fighting action that demands good technique."

This game got a C+. Is the standard really that low on the Saturn? I don't think another system short of the Neo Geo is more famed for its fighting games. And this game came out the same year as Street Fighter Alpha.

Well it obviously set the standard for 3D fighters since it was the first one. I should really qualify that in my re-review, which is likely forthcoming, although I don't think my grade was too far off.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 29th, 2019, 10:59 pm

I think it’s fair to say it set the standard (for 3D fighters at least), but still give it an average score. My recollection is that VF2 was the premier 3D fighter on the market when it came out, and arguably held that crown until Tekken 3 took it. So it “set the standard” in that sense and is probably the best known 3D fighting game on the system.. But as far as the grade, it hasn’t really held up well in my opinion- nowhere near as well as Tekken 3, and even on the Saturn I much prefer Fighters Megamix these days. I’d def put VF2 in the C or D range if it were me- unless you let legacy and nostalgia push it higher.

Plus, while the Saturn is known for fighting games, I think it’s more the 2D fighters that stand out. For 3D fighting games, I think the PS1 had the better lineup easily.

jon

Postby jon » May 1st, 2019, 8:20 pm

VF2 was originally on the Model 2. To me VF2 has the best graphics of any game all time. The level with the Japanese hut is my fav of all time, vintage mid 90's graphics. The first VF was amazing too. While personally the VF2 on the Model 2 is an A+, any Model 2 game that got a console port in 1995 is probably not the definitive version. I've played Neo Geo ports that are graphically inferior compared to playing on the actual AES, so many things were compromised.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 1st, 2019, 9:26 pm

I'm using this as an excuse to order some Saturn games, namely the original Virtua Fighter (Japan) and Virtua Fighter Remix. It'll also give me better perspective on Virtua Fighter 2.

Return to “Classic Gaming”