Unsupported Video Signal for PS1 games on PS2?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Unsupported Video Signal for PS1 games on PS2?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 17th, 2019, 9:23 pm

So, trying to do my due diligence in reviewing Crash Bandicoot Trilogy for the Switch, I wanted to see how the old Crash games looked on my HDTV. So I plugged in my PS2 via component cable (normally I play my PS2 on a CRT) and after the Playstation logos appear I get the message "Unsupported Video Signal". I can hear the audio of the game coming through.

What. The. Hell. It's a good thing I still have old TVs I guess! Still, I'd like to be able to at least try to play PS1 games on my HDTV (although I suspect they would look like crap). Sounds like I could try a composite cable, but getting to the wires behind my TV would be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe it's time to invest in an HDMI converter?

Please advise.

Sonicx9

Re: Unsupported Video Signal for PS1 games on PS2?

Postby Sonicx9 » July 17th, 2019, 9:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So, trying to do my due diligence in reviewing Crash Bandicoot Trilogy for the Switch, I wanted to see how the old Crash games looked on my HDTV. So I plugged in my PS2 via component cable (normally I play my PS2 on a CRT) and after the Playstation logos appear I get the message "Unsupported Video Signal". I can hear the audio of the game coming through.

What. The. Hell. It's a good thing I still have old TVs I guess! Still, I'd like to be able to at least try to play PS1 games on my HDTV (although I suspect they would look like crap). Sounds like I could try a composite cable, but getting to the wires behind my TV would be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe it's time to invest in an HDMI converter?

Please advise.

Your best bet is the PS3 via backwards compatibility as it supported in all models and skus, but make sure you buy a Memory Card Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Memo ... B000JKXC6A

envytomdead

Postby envytomdead » July 18th, 2019, 1:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So, trying to do my due diligence in reviewing Crash Bandicoot Trilogy for the Switch, I wanted to see how the old Crash games looked on my HDTV. So I plugged in my PS2 via component cable (normally I play my PS2 on a CRT) and after the Playstation logos appear I get the message "Unsupported Video Signal". I can hear the audio of the game coming through.

Please advise.

The unsupported signal is because your tv does not like 240p over component. I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend but I'd recommend a RetroTink 2x. It will take your 240p signal and double it to 480I and the output to 480p. It's also lag free which is very nice. It cost around $100. Combined with HD retrovision cables you can get a really great picture.

However if you just want something that is passable and don't mind minor lag, I'd recommend the cooldigital av to hdmi converter with the aspect ratio switch about $30.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 18th, 2019, 8:29 pm

GREAT feedback guys - thanks so much! I think I might just have to invest in the RetroTink 2X - this is every retro gamer's dream!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 19th, 2019, 9:55 pm

A timely post.

I was just reading GameSpot's review of the EON Super 64 HDMI adapter right before coming here. They said it was OK, but it runs $150, and the best bang for your buck is the RetroTink 2X, which reportedly does a better job and is posted at $100, $50 less than the EON.

Not going to say I'm not tempted (believe me, I am) but it's hard for me to personally justify dropping a Franklin for this kind of convenience. Most of my older systems are hooked up to an older tube TV, with the N64 being the only older console hooked up to my newer HDTV. Though it is a newer 4K model, my TV still has Component Video hookups, which is how I have my wife's PS2 and Wii hooked up to the TV. The N64 is the only console hooked up through Composite Video, and though it looks rough, we play enough multiplayer games on the system to justify it being connected to our main TV.

Honestly, playing the N64 on our HDTV kind of reminds me of when I was playing the N64 at my first apartment back in my college days. I had it connected to a late 70's Sharp TV, complete with VHF and UHF knobs and woodgrain overlays. It was the "old" family TV that my folks gave me as a hand-me-down when I first got a place of my own. I could even pick up quite a few local channels with the built-in rabbit ears, and I would probably still watch TV on it regularly if not for the DTV changeover a few years back. The setup was of those deals where it had a coaxial adapter screwed into the back antenna connections and had the N64 connected to the TV through an RF switch. It was a blurry, snowy picture, but it worked, and that's all that mattered.

On our HDTV, I even have the sharpness turned all the way down to preserve that blurry look. Any higher than 0 and the sharpness settings kind of take on a life of their own, jacking up the color contrast and giving everything an unsightly black border. No thanks - blurry, it is!

Nice to know there's an option for improving picture clarity that, all things considered, doesn't cost as much as it could. I will keep it in mind. If anybody winds up picking up a RetroTink 2X, tell us about it here, all right?

On a total side note: you know my favorite thing about that old TV? Dials. Volume, color, tint, and sharpness all had dials that could be slightly adjusted and tinkered with to provide the best possible picture. Maaaaan, do I miss dials and sliders. Back in the days where TV and stereo settings didn't need a digital numerical value assigned to them. Just fiddle around with it for a while until you get it right. And if that doesn't work, just bonk it with your fist a few times until it sorts itself out. Foolproof, I tell you!

envytomdead

Postby envytomdead » July 21st, 2019, 10:15 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Nice to know there's an option for improving picture clarity that, all things considered, doesn't cost as much as it could. I will keep it in mind. If anybody winds up picking up a RetroTink 2X, tell us about it here, aright!

I do have one. Although I do not have a N64, I use it for the s-video out on my retron 3 and that looks fantastic.

I also have used it on the following systems.

My Sega Genesis paired with HD retrovision cables. Both genesis and master games look fantastic.

NES and Retro bit RES. Composite out. Not as impressive as component or s-video but still the best you will get composite looking on your HD tv.

Atari 7800 with a vcr as a demodulator - a bit fuzzy but still gets the job done.

Long story short - s-video and component look great and composite looks good. Best of all no lag or artifacting that you would get from other converters.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 19th, 2019, 8:27 pm

So my RetroTink arrived today! There's not much to it - just a tiny board with connectors sandwiched between two pieces of clear plastic - about 3" x 3" x 1".

I paid extra for a mini-to-normal HDMI cable, but since I was out of HDMI inputs, I had to run out to buy an HDMI switchbox at Target. That needs to be plugged in too (ugh). For power to the RetroTink I plugged in a PS4-type HDMI cable, and plugged the other end into one of those little power bricks.

Tried my PS1 via composite cable first, but the screen came up in fuzzy black and white. Maybe because it's a customized PS1?
Next I tried the PS1 S-video cable but it didn't seem to fit into the S-video input of the RetroTink (that IS an S-Video port right?). Finally I hooked up my PS2 via component cables, and that worked fine. I was able to play the original Crash Bandicoot which used to say signal not supported. Now when I fire it up my TV reports a 480p signal (thumbs up).

Crash was presented in 4-3 ratio and looks really sharp. Maybe a bit too sharp as some of the textures look muddy. The controls seem spot on. If there is an input lag, I couldn't detect it, and I have an eye for that kind of thing. I'd still prefer to play the game on a CRT, but for convenience this is just as good.

I'll report more later as I try other systems, but looking promising so far.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 19th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Okay, apparently there is a mode button that toggles between composite, s-video, and component. So I got my NES to work in composite mode.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=RetroTINK2X

My PS1 S-video cable still didn't fit, but I tried my N64 s-video cable and it worked! Not only that, but I also discovered the "smoothing" button which makes a tremendous difference!!!

The screen looks a little dark, but I think that's because modern screens tend to be a little darker than CRT, and you can adjust that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 19th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Okay, now for the coup de gras! Hooked up my Neo Geo with King of Fighters, and it looks like a dream! Looking forward to re-reviewing all of these on the big screen!

Looks like a got some rewiring to do. My room is a mess.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 19th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Return to “Classic Gaming”