Unsupported Video Signal for PS1 games on PS2?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Matchstick

Re: Unsupported Video Signal for PS1 games on PS2?

Postby Matchstick » August 19th, 2019, 11:38 pm

My favorite thing about the current state of your game room is that you've been playing Judge Dredd on the SNES. A close second is that your Saturn is placed on the highest shelf where it rightfully belongs!

It's nice to see a literal snapshot of the current state of your game room, as you can pick up on some of the recent activity from the site. OutRun 2 and 2006 are both perched on top of your original Xbox, and I see your 3DO copy of Hell has arrived in the mail, too. Suffice to say, there's a lot more going on in your little corner of the world than there is in mine. All of my systems are currently collecting dust while I get caught up on a bunch of little things around the house. Sigh. I gotta say it's nice to see so much of your gaming goodness getting put to good use.

That being said... good lord, man, get yourself a handful of twist ties from the produce department in the grocery store and start working on that cable management! It looks like a bonafide worm farm over there in VGC land!!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 20th, 2019, 8:53 am

Haha, yeah, I love that picture too. I miss the days when I had every system hooked up. Those were great days. Now, I get to live vicariously through others.

You know it might be fun to see a weekly picture of your room with cheetos, beer, and all. Maybe, that becomes your next feature. Soon you'll be streaming on Twitch. :D

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 20th, 2019, 11:15 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Image

Video Related

zetax

Postby zetax » August 20th, 2019, 11:53 am

Funny you post that screen shot now. I'm in the process of trying to re-hookup a bunch of systems in my "Beta Setup". Started a list of systems, adapters, switches, and TV inputs, as well as what needs power.

Yikes...maybe this isn't such a good idea :D
Attachments
Bedroom Setup 2-1.png
Bedroom Setup 2-1.png (16.39 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2019, 7:03 pm

And there are MORE systems on both sides of that!
My room usually doesn't look that messy, but I was furiously testing out the new RetroTink.

And yeah, I got through a lot of ties. Never roll the cord around the controller; always bundle the cord up.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 21st, 2019, 10:46 am

If you want to play your PS1 through this and want it to look good, HD Retrovision builds original Playstation component cables that tap into the system's native RGB capabilities and converts it to North American ‎YPbPr component video

https://www.hdretrovision.com/playstation

Technically, it's actually a Playstation adapter for their Sega Genesis component cable. So you could kill two birds with one stone if you want to also run your Genesis through the Retrotink, as long as you're willing to swap the HD Retrovision cable around when switching between the two systems.

Of course the cheaper and sane option is just to stick with the PS2 and component cables through this like you've already been doing. But classic gamers like ourselves aren't usually too rational and the appeal of playing PS1 games on actual PS1 hardware with the best possible video quality might be worth it to you. :)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2019, 4:42 pm

Atariboy-
Thanks for letting me know about this! Actually it's quite pertinent to me because I use a modded PS1 to play Japanese games, which my PS2 does not.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2019, 5:23 pm

More good Retrotink news. I am able to use an old GameStop switchbox as a front end for the Retrotink. I have my PS2, GameCube, Neo Geo, and Neo Geo CD all hooked up to this right now. My Xbox is going into the single component input in the back of the TV.

The PS2 and GameCube are component cables. My Neo Geo is also component, because it's been modded. My Neo Geo CD has an S-video cable, which is also supported by the switchbox. So I have both component and S-video outputs going to my Retrotink, and can toggle between them. I do have to adjust the Retrotink between component and s-video modes, but I don't have to unplug anything, which is a big plus.

I'm not really interested in hooking up older systems like the NES or Genesis to this.

I'll have to post a follow-up pic once I get everything organized.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 21st, 2019, 6:28 pm

If you use progressive scan in GameCube games for the improved visual quality, I'm not sure that will work. The Retrotink website when I was looking at it a few weeks ago made it sound like a 480p analog component input wasn't able to be converted to a digital 480p output via HDMI with the Retrotink.

Not such a problem on the Playstation 2 with its preponderance of 480i only games, but the GameCube on the other hand had a large number of progressive scan games. I think of my 50 or 60 GCN games, only four don't do 480p and two of those exceptions are actually 240p games.

Not quite as universal of an option as progressive scan was on the original Xbox, but darn close to it judging by my experience.

envytomdead

Postby envytomdead » August 24th, 2019, 8:57 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm not really interested in hooking up older systems like the NES or Genesis to this.

With HD retrovision cables, this thing is awesome for Genesis. The difference is night and day compared to just using composite thru the RetroTink. I don't have an SNES but I know they have HD retrovision cables for that as well. I have a retron 3 and using the s-video into the RetroTink makes both Genesis and SNES games look awesome as well.

Return to “Classic Gaming”