PS1 Suggestions

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
goldenband

Re: PS1 Suggestions

Postby goldenband » August 19th, 2019, 11:37 pm

astrodomekid wrote:
goldenband wrote:Has anyone played Plucky's Big Adventure, the Tiny Toons game? I keep meaning to get into it, and as the title suggests, it seems to be an adventure game.

No offense, but that was perhaps the very first video game that pissed me off. It took me forever to track down one of the first items you needed to collect, and when I finally did and managed to beat the game (which really isn't anything to write home about to begin with), the ending was just a huge slap in the face. Quite frankly, it might just be one of the worst games I've ever played.

Ha, no offense taken! I haven't played the game for more than a couple minutes, but your description almost makes me want to fire it up even more. :D

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 21st, 2019, 9:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Metal Gear Solid arrived today. Since I'm working again and don't have as much time to play, I'm going to buy others once I complete this and work my way down the list. There's something charming about N64/PS1 graphics.

For some reason there were a bunch of Burger King coupons inside the case with the discs. Maybe the Ebay seller is trying to eat healthy and was trying to get rid of them. In any case, I have until September 22nd to use all the coupons.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » August 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am

Herschie wrote:For some reason there were a bunch of Burger King coupons inside the case with the discs. Maybe the Ebay seller is trying to eat healthy and was trying to get rid of them. In any case, I have until September 22nd to use all the coupons.

Nice, free Whoppers! :D

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 22nd, 2019, 10:33 am

Speaking of MGS, I am planning to do a deep dive into the series for my first playthrough via the Legacy Collection on PS3 at some point. I actually have the original PS1 version but I used the code to download it onto the PS3.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 23rd, 2019, 7:03 pm

Keep us posted on MGS. Like I mentioned, I played it a few years ago and thought it held up amazingly well for a game from that era - but I'm interested to hear the perspective of someone not clouded by nostalgia. Just make sure you don't miss those good cutscenes..

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 17th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Keep us posted on MGS. Like I mentioned, I played it a few years ago and thought it held up amazingly well for a game from that era - but I'm interested to hear the perspective of someone not clouded by nostalgia. Just make sure you don't miss those good cutscenes..

Not directly related to the topic, but I've been replaying MGS3 and that game has aged like a fine wine. It's probably the only MGS game where I can say I genuinely enjoyed the story from start to finish.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 17th, 2019, 7:22 pm

I still like the idea of completing a review set for the North American PS1 launch titles, at least the exclusives:

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 25#p163825

I'm surprised Jumping Flash hasn't seen a review yet. And as I said in the linked post, Kileak is a generic mech game/FPS but I kind of enjoyed it, while Power Serve 3D Tennis is hilariously terrible -- it is, indeed, the very worst tennis game I've ever played -- and Total Eclipse Turbo is a probable upgrade to the 3DO version.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 18th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Herschie wrote:Just ordered Metal Gear Solid off of Ebay. Yes I used the link off this site. Probably order a few others as well.

Herschie, did you get a chance to try it out? Or has it ended up in the backlog? Curious about your thoughts!

ptdebate wrote:Not directly related to the topic, but I've been replaying MGS3 and that game has aged like a fine wine. It's probably the only MGS game where I can say I genuinely enjoyed the story from start to finish.

Yeah great game, def in my personal top 10. This is the game that turned MGS into my favorite series. It's the best story I've ever experienced in a video game, replacing Final Fantasy Tactics. Like you, I didn't play it until years after it was released, and still loved it.

The first hour is tedious and slow - and that scared me off from playing it the first few times I tried - but it really picks up once you get through the intro stages.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 22nd, 2019, 2:30 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
Herschie wrote:Just ordered Metal Gear Solid off of Ebay. Yes I used the link off this site. Probably order a few others as well.

Herschie, did you get a chance to try it out? Or has it ended up in the backlog? Curious about your thoughts!

Was in my backlog for a while, but I just posted about it in Now Playing.

Return to “Classic Gaming”