The Game Boy Advance library is massive

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
CharlieR

Re: The Game Boy Advance library is massive

Postby CharlieR » August 31st, 2020, 12:30 pm

just looking back at an old thread I made, and every time I think about the GBA, I always think about how they did more with less. You obviously aren't going to get the same experience as you would playing the console counterpart, but the sometimes awkward nature of trying to fit a console quality game on this small system can be charming at times. You are literally playing a miniature version of a console game, which can have it's ups and downs.

One of the games I go back to often are the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games. These are my favorite games on console, and they can be pretty fun to play on Game Boy Advance. The isometric viewpoint, and never really being sure what is blocking you style of gameplay isn't for everyone; but all the tricks are there, and it's kind of remarkable how closely they resemble the console version.

Also, do you ever find yourself wanting to play a game you have no interest in, just too see how it could play on the Game Boy Advance? Looking at reviews here, I notice the critic wrote about the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, a game I probably wouldn't care about on console, but on GBA, looks pretty interesting. Same thing with Batman Begins and Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest The console versions don't look too exciting, but the GBA versions play like old-school 2d platformers.

Lastly, some GBA versions of games can be just as good in terms of quality, as their console counterparts. For example, I think the two main Crash Bandicoot games, Huge Adventure and N-tranced, are just as good, if not, better, than Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 on Playstation.

Return to “Classic Gaming”