Fighting Baseball on Super Famicom

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Fighting Baseball on Super Famicom

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 14th, 2019, 5:46 pm

My friend Brent sent me a very funny meme that I can't get enough of:

yb5dta71sgy31.jpg
yb5dta71sgy31.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

It's from a Japanese SNES game called Fighting Baseball. I would really like to review this, but none of my systems seem to play Super Famicon. Not my Retron 5 and not my RetroFreak either. Anybody have a good solution?

snakeboy

Re: Fighting Baseball on Super Famicom

Postby snakeboy » November 14th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Have you tried playing a Super Famicom game on the Retron 5 or Retro Freak?

If I'm not mistaken, the only thing keeping you from playing a Super Famicom game on an SNES are a couple of tabs on the cartridge slot that make it impossible to insert a Super Famicom game. I doubt the Retron 5 or Retro Freak would have those tabs so you would think they would work.

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » November 14th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Super Famicom systems are pretty cheap to pick up and are durable. If it is a first run, you need a TV cable of tuning to channel 95 or 96 which is the closest compatible frequency to Channel 1/2 in Japan (more details --> http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/ ... tm#page=rf). Composite is standard with 2nd run and beyond for the system. You can probably score a loose system for around $30.

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » November 14th, 2019, 6:13 pm

snakeboy wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the only thing keeping you from playing a Super Famicom game on an SNES are a couple of tabs on the cartridge slot that make it impossible to insert a Super Famicom game. I doubt the Retron 5 or Retro Freak would have those tabs so you would think they would work.

Regional protection is enforced through the physical design of the cartridges and internal lock-out chip. I am not sure if there is an adapter out there to account for these differences. Might just be cheaper to get a loose system.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm

There's no regional lockout for Japanese games on the SNES, only the physical lockout. Snap off those tabs in the cartridge slot and you're good to go! I've got 30-35 Super Famicom games from Japan and they all play fine on my SNES.

(However, PAL-region games do have a chip-based lockout in NTSC regions, and vice versa.)

Alternatively you can use a Game Genie, but I'm not sure that you can save while a GG is attached. On the Genesis, at least, I think they disabled the save function to keep from using codes that mess up the save routine and permanently bork the SRAM.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 14th, 2019, 7:14 pm

While I'm pretty ignorant about what systems can play what games from what regions, I do know that, based on that screenshot alone, this game needs a review, PRONTO!!

...although there is a pretty glaring error in that list. It's a baseball game, right? Sheesh, people - everybody knows that Sleve "Dongo" McDichael played his entire career as a linefacker for the Jhicago Pears. Get yer facts straight!!

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 14th, 2019, 8:40 pm

This was apparently localized as MLBPA Baseball in North America.

noah98

Postby noah98 » November 14th, 2019, 8:51 pm

My Retrofreak plays Super Famicom games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 14th, 2019, 9:37 pm

I ordered copy (Japanese version). How could I not??
Unfortunately, not seasonally correct so might need to wait a few months for a review.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2019, 2:36 pm

This probably explains why by Retron 5 doesn't come with a Super Famicon slot, the SNES slow probably supports both types of games. I'll find out soon enough.

Return to “Classic Gaming”