your favorite FMV game?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ASalvaro

your favorite FMV game?

Postby ASalvaro » December 1st, 2019, 7:23 pm

i know the Full Motion Video genre gets a lot of flack but i have always enjoyed these game
i think my all time favorite is Sewer Shark on the Sega CD..the game gets really intense as your nearing the end and i was actually nervous and sweating when i finished it and i can't say that about a lot of games

and i really liked Night Trap also on the Sega CD

Stalvern

Re: your favorite FMV game?

Postby Stalvern » December 1st, 2019, 10:59 pm

I recently found out about Kingdom: The Far Reaches (originally the almost-unreleased Thayer's Quest on Laserdisc). I'm not sure that it looks good, but it seems intriguingly ambitious for an FMV game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 1st, 2019, 11:26 pm

I love FMV games because they are a unique product of their time... and will probably never return. Night Trap is my favorite. I never get tired of playing it!

I just got Double Switch for the Switch. I really want to get into it, but it doesn't have that pick-up-and-play quality of Night Trap.

I also recently got Corpse Killer for the PS4, which despite its marginal gameplay has a lot of FMV charm.

Stay tuned!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 2nd, 2019, 9:26 am

I had a go on Night trap on the switch. I have to say I was quite impressed. I found it really annoying but good fun. I could see how it would have been one of my fave games back in the 90s. Though I never bought a mega CD. It is a shame really as there are so many great games on it. Sonic CD not being one of them.

My fave FMV game would have to be The Bunker. There is an atom war and the world has been destroyed. You are alone in a bunker.. though maybe you are not alone. What can you do to survive. That is available of Xbox and ps4 and switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJHrC9a6Cg
In the arcades I love Astron Belt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roCbZXqBDaE
and of course Mad Dog Macree.

SegaRiddle1990

Postby SegaRiddle1990 » December 2nd, 2019, 9:52 am

I dont really have a bunch of FMV games or anything (I do own a Sega CD though, just no real FMV games for it yet), but I have been getting into Myst on the Sega Saturn. I find the Saturn's FMV abilities actually REALLY good especially considering what came before it on the Sega CD! At least I love what I see in Myst so far anyway. Anyone know of what the best FMV games on Saturn might be? I'd love to have some recommendations

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 2nd, 2019, 11:20 am

Night Trap. I tried to think if there's any other FMV game that I liked more, but I can't think of any that come close.

I didn't play Night Trap back in the day - just played it for the first time a few years ago - and still loved it anyway. My wife even loved it. I own it on 32X and PS4. I first tried it on 32X, which is a pretty good version. But the newly updated version made it easier to play, and now it's even more fun.

djc

Postby djc » December 2nd, 2019, 12:42 pm

I really like the majority of the Digital Pictures releases for the Sega CD (and other systems). For me though, it's a tie between Double Switch and Sewer Shark for my favorite. Sewer Shark was the first FMV game I ever beat followed by Double Switch. Of course the acting is really what makes these games great.

Night Trap is also fun to beat especially because of the special endings.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 2nd, 2019, 1:01 pm

Favorite game I've actually played:

Dragon's Lair. The stages are carefully designed around your limitations, to the point where sometimes it feels like a real video game. Fortunately, your death is never far from the respawn point. And there's a surprising amount of content found in the roughly 15 minutes or so of laserdisc footage. Not a single moment is wasted.

Even dying felt like a reward.

And just look at it - before he shifted focus to the direct to DVD market, Don Bluth's animation was more expensive looking than almost anything else you'd see in a theater around the same time.

If every FMV game had improved on this model, they might still be a niche' genre today.

FMV game on the top of my wishlist: Her Story.

You're a detective examining testimony. You have a search engine to help you uncover the truth. More than that, I don't want to know, until I've actually had the chance to play it.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » December 2nd, 2019, 5:58 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Don Bluth's animation was more expensive looking than almost anything else you'd see in a theater around the same time.

Indeed, Sir. My childhood fondness for An American Tail and The Secret of NIMH will never die. My Mum took me out of school early one day to go see The Land Before Time, and I'll never forget how pumped I was to be leaving class before everyone else. She made me fake being sick - heh.

Hell, when I was first getting to know the lady who would eventually be my wife, we talked about animation a bit and she confessed that her favorite "Disney" movies from when she was a girl were Rock-a-Doodle and All Dogs go to Heaven. That conversation had some quotable moments, for sure, and I still tease her about her reaction when I mentioned, "Oh, you like Don Bluth movies, too?" "Wait, you mean they weren't made by Disney??"

I still pull that line on her from time to time. Love ya, honey!!

Anyway, If Myst-style games count, I vote Riven and The 7th Guest. Although I guess T7G is more of a bonafide puzzle game, while Riven is definitely a staple of the adventure genre. Puzzle Adventure? FMV adventure? FMV Puzzle? Not really sure the best way to classify those games.

Along those same lines, I really, really enjoyed D on the Sega Saturn. It's always my go-to game around Halloween, as it must be finished on less than two hours and ends up feeling more like a movie because of it. Still, it's great to play a game like that every now and then, one that you know you can finish from beginning to end in one sitting.

I love the Wing Commander series, and parts 3 and 4 had their fair share of FMV, as well. Part 4 in particular. Both games had their share of credible actors, but in WC4, I thought everyone stepped up their game, and the set design and film quality of the cutscenes were leaps and bounds most other entires in the genre. I guess they're still mainly action games in the Space Combat genre, but if we're counting action games with a generous helping of FMV, then WC4 gets my vote there.

As far as games that were "true" FMV, I had a lot of fun with Slam City with Scottie Pippen on the Sega CD back in the day. Kind of a wonky game from a playability standpoint, but man, do I love that soundtrack! Something about its low-fi bass just smacks of watching a bunch of 40-something dudes trying to tear it up on the court at their local YMCA, their boom box in the corner blasting out their vintage old-school hip-hop mixtape. Not that I've ever done that, or anything...

I also played a courtroom drama called In the 1st Degree years ago on a PC at a friend's house. Pretty sure the game belonged to his Dad, who had no idea we were playing it while he was at work. It was a bit of a thinker, and involved interrogating witnesses at a trial and trying to peg them when they were lying. I remember the actors doing some great work, especially considering the "quality" of acting in many other FMV games at the time. We never finished it, but I remember it getting pretty intense in some courtroom scenes. Recommended!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 2nd, 2019, 7:13 pm

For some bizarre reason, it never occurred to me to count games like D and Mansion of Hidden Souls as FMV games, but Dragon's Lair just dropped to number 3 on my list.

My childhood fondness for An American Tail and The Secret of NIMH will never die.

Amen.

Return to “Classic Gaming”