Remembering the mostly forgettable average games. (Or at least trying to.)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
velcrozombie

Re: Remembering the mostly forgettable average games. (Or at least trying to.)

Postby velcrozombie » December 24th, 2019, 1:23 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I agree Eternal Champion lacked memorable characters, but the gameplay was flawed as well.

I remember trying so hard to learn the special moves, which were SO HARD to pull off, and when you did they didn't do much damage. In the meantime your buddy who had never played before was pummeling you to death with simple kicks and punches.

When I got into SF4 some years back and bought a fightstick I remember reading that mashing would beat out someone learning to play deliberately until they hit a certain level of skill and knowledge. I never really gave the game enough thought or attention to get past that level, unfortunately.

When I was that young it was all the same to me - each character in Eternal Champions had maybe two or three moves I could pull off semi-reliably and I would just spam one when the meter became available. I remember the female acrobat had some set of inputs for speeding her actions up that relied on you pulling off two complex sequences in a row but every once in a while I'd just get it by mashing. That's the reason I'd pick Chun-Li or E. Honda in SFII back then - when it doubt I could spam 100-Hand Slap or Lightning Legs.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » December 27th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Hmm. Good question. I've played a lot of pretty mediocre games over the years. Most of which I've forgotten about. But one that has come to mind would be Wrath of the Black Mantha for the NES. That was one me and my buddy would rent out from the local video store every so often, play around with it for a few minutes or so, then turn it down and play something else. It was just your typical run of the mill action game with not much to separate it from what must have been a huge glut of similar themed games that were out at the time aside from an admittedly cool title and some decent box cover artwork. Those were the two things that compelled me and my friend to try it out and give it a go. But unfortunately, the graphics, gameplay and sound is as dull as dishwater, and I've never played it since. Perhaps I should seek it out and revisit it someday just to see if it's a dull as I remember. But to be honest, I don't think I'd really wanna do that...

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 28th, 2019, 7:05 am

I think I really liked that Eternal Champions felt unique compared to the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat clones. It had some great ideas, but the moves were really hard to pull off. I do still have a fondness for the Sega Cd version. It tried hard to make a case for the "cd" aspect being necessary. I agree with the critic though, it's a game where button mashers could beat you while you were trying to master the controls. I wonder what fighting game experts think of it now?

Return to “Classic Gaming”