What was the challenge you just couldn't beat, no matter how hard you tried?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retrology

Re: What was the challenge you just couldn't beat, no matter how hard you tried?

Postby Retrology » January 28th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Most of the rocket barrel stages from Donkey Kong Country Returns. Love that game and I'm a huge fan of the series, but the area where you have to escape a bat firing lasers from his mouth on a rocket barrel is one of the most frustrating gaming moments ever.

(I do realize this game came out 10 years ago so idk if it's classic but I suppose it contributes to the theme of the thread. And DAMN IT'S 10 YEARS OLD TOO! Remember getting it for Christmas!)

Teej

Re: What was the challenge you couldn't beat?

Postby Teej » January 28th, 2020, 3:13 pm

goldenband wrote:
As for beating a ridiculous challenge? Finishing Dragon's Lair for NES felt pretty darn good. So did getting a perfect score in Pitfall!, in my case the Intellivision version.

I’ve never played the Intellivision version, but I imagine that’s quite a feat. It’s tough as hell to get a perfect on the VCS version. I have to imagine the Intellivision controller makes it that much harder.

MSR1701

Re: What was the challenge you just couldn't beat, no matter how hard you tried?

Postby MSR1701 » January 28th, 2020, 3:59 pm

Donkey Kong Land II, SLIME CLIMB. For the life of me I could not beat that blasted level on my original Game Boy for almost a year. Late one night while staying at my Grandmothers, I managed to beat the stage, and was sweating bullets to beat the rest of the stages (and the boss) of the area so I could save. I was so ecstatic that I beat the stage that I forgot that I could save at the Kong Kollege with the coins I earned to beat that stage in the same area.

Return to “Classic Gaming”