Classic CD-ROM games compatible with Audio Players

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
MSR1701

Re: Classic CD-ROM games compatible with Audio Players

Postby MSR1701 » January 26th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Matchstick wrote:Welp, here we go, the results of my findings from my own game collection. Games that only seem to have a warning track (or tracks) will be noted, and if the disc is a "Greatest Hits" version of sorts, that will be noted, as well. Game discs that only played a data track are not listed. All game discs were played on a mid-90s Sony Discman, and all were recognized in one way or another.

I have lumped in the games mentioned by djc, and encourage others to add to this list, as well. I seem to have misplaced my massive CD wallet full of Sega CD games, so I was fairly limited in that category. I have only included games that I have managed to test this weekend, and have not included any titles that I remember listening to from memory years ago.

With all that out of the way, let's get started!

Sega CD

Ecco: The Tides of Time (full soundtrack)
FIFA (crowd noise / in-game music)
Midnight Raiders (intro movie soundtrack w/ voiceovers)
Mortal Kombat (game soundtrack and live-action movie theme song)
NBA Jam (game soundtrack and some voiceovers)
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (full soundtrack)
Sonic CD (full soundtrack)

Sega Saturn

Akumajo Dracula X (warning track)
Biohazard (warning track)
Bulk Slash (Sega Saturn Collection Version) (two short songs from the in-game soundtrack)
Daytona USA Circuit Edition (full soundtrack)
Digital Pinball Necronomicon (full soundtrack)
King of Fighters 96 (full soundtrack - YES!!)
Dynamite Deka (Sega Saturn Collection Version) (full soundtrack, with voiceovers from cutscenes)
Fighters Megamix (full soundtrack)
Fighting Vipers (full soundtrack, including the Pepsi Man theme)
GunGriffon (full soundtrack)
Panzer Dragoon II (three songs from the in-game soundtrack)
Sega Bomberman Fight (full soundtrack)
Sega Rally (full soundtrack - track 16 is "GAME OVER, YEAAAAAAH!!")
Shin Shinobiden (two short songs from the in-game soundtrack)
Street Fighter Zero 2 (warning track)
Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (warning track)
Vampire Hunter (warning track)
Virtual On (full soundtrack)
X-Men vs Street Fighter (full soundtrack - YES, AGAIN!!)

Sony PlayStation

Alien Trilogy (Greatest Hits Version) (full soundtrack)
Castlevania: SOTN (Greatest Hits Version) (warning track, followed by a short song)
Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors (full soundtrack)
Loaded (full soundtrack - lots of memories of this one)
Rampage World Tour (two songs from the in-game soundtrack)

That's all for now! Most PlayStation games I own do not play anything but a data track. Also, I wish there were more consistency from the Capcom fighting games. Strange that X-Men vs Street Fighter has the entire soundtrack on the Saturn, yet none of my other Saturn games made by Capcom do. Strange again that Darkstalkers has its soundtrack yet Vampire Hunter does not. That being said, I'll take what I can get, and it's nice having that KOF '96 soundtrack to balance things out.

Again, feel free to add to this list, as my game collection is pretty tiny compared to that of many other users on this site. Once I find the bulk of my Sega CD collection, I will be sure to update the list with whatever additional titles I come across.

Thanks for the info!!! This is greatly appreciated!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 26th, 2020, 5:54 pm

To add to the list:

Sega CD
Stellar Fire - soundtrack plus voice dialog
Battlecorps - soundtrack plus voice dialog in at least 4 lanuages

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 11th, 2020, 8:26 am

Yet More Updates:

Sega CD:
Mortal Kombat - not only does this contain the Movie Techno theme, it contains around 4 versions of it!
Microcosm - Most of the soundtrack is playable

Playstation (PSX):
Lemmings + Oh No More Lemmings! - Full Sountrack I think
PO'ed - One track
Twisted Metal 2 - This one is weird... There is a playable selection of the game's soundtrack (my disk was scratched and skipped pretty heavily around a few parts), but also tried to play a non-audio Folder on the disc; not sure if the soundtrack plays well in a non-MP3/WMA-compatible CD Player
Wild 9 - Soundtrack plays; also has a tune from Earthworm Jim, which caught me off guard (and really should not have, as Shiney made both games)
Wipeout XL - Full Soundtrack
2 Xtreme Full Soundtrack, and boy are those tracks long...

zetax

Postby zetax » March 11th, 2020, 2:54 pm

MSR1701 wrote:...
Playstation (PSX):

All three PS1 Wipeouts (Wipeout, XL, and 3), as well as Wipeout for Saturn have the audio tracks.

Think I'll put PS1 Wipeout 3 in the Saturn tonight to play the audio through, while playing Super RetroCade on the other TV. "Xpander" is the bomb.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 11th, 2020, 3:11 pm

zetax wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:...
Playstation (PSX):

All three PS1 Wipeouts (Wipeout, XL, and 3), as well as Wipeout for Saturn have the audio tracks.

Think I'll put PS1 Wipeout 3 in the Saturn tonight to play the audio through, while playing Super RetroCade on the other TV. "Xpander" is the bomb.

From researching it would seem that any PSX/PSOne game that was known to allow you to swap out the game disc to play an audio CD during game play (Wipeout, Ridge Racer), the reason this was possible was due to the disc pulling the audio from a music file that a CD player is compatible with (RedBook-style). I'm guessing that the first couple of Ridge Racers also apply, not sure what other games would fit the bill.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 11th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Rayman (PS1) was a great bit of ambient background audio.

So was Lunar on the Sega CD, if memory serves. But only the first one. Eternal Blue and the first remake were both an audio downgrade in order to fit more of everything else.

I also want to say Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside, as well? Minus Amiga/C64 games, it's been far too long since I just sat down and just listened to a gaming soundtrack. They usually make me want to just jump in and play the game...

Shadow of the Beast doesn't suffer from that problem. And Monty on the Run deserves to be heard without being interrupted by the sound effects.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 11th, 2020, 5:26 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
Shadow of the Beast doesn't suffer from that problem. And Monty on the Run deserves to be heard without being interrupted by the sound effects.

Almost forgot that Shadow of the Beast had a Sega CD version... Hopefully that has the soundtrack playable; there's an Amiga remix CD that I found that has me very interested in the SotB music.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 11th, 2020, 5:55 pm

So far as I know, only Shadow of the Beast 2 has Sega CD representation. And it's, well, different.

I can't comment on the complaints from Beast fans that it's not as sadistic and unfair as the Amiga version, but the remade graphics sparked a minor holy war on Youtube, and as for the new soundtrack..?

All sides put away their weapons to mourn for the fallen.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 12th, 2020, 8:16 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:So far as I know, only Shadow of the Beast 2 has Sega CD representation. And it's, well, different.

I can't comment on the complaints from Beast fans that it's not as sadistic and unfair as the Amiga version, but the remade graphics sparked a minor holy war on Youtube, and as for the new soundtrack..?

All sides put away their weapons to mourn for the fallen.

I'll have to try the music for this one and see. I have a soft spot for Amiga music in general, and while many CD albums are not as favorable compared to chip tunes (Sonic 3D Blast is a GREAT example of this), I'll give it a go and see; I'm finding many Sega CD games had better soundtracks than I previously thought (Dune, Stellar Fire, Battlecorps).

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 12th, 2020, 11:04 am

Here's a thought - would PC game discs also play in an audio player? If I can remember to, I need to dig out my copies of Age of Empires I + II to try...

Return to “Classic Gaming”