What's your favorite power-up?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ThePixelatedGenocide

What's your favorite power-up?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 7th, 2020, 10:35 am

For me, it's the humble morph ball bomb.

As an offensive weapon, it's limited. The range is a single block, and the blast is delayed. It's good for mining for secrets, and laying a few desperation traps, and not much else.

But as a ladder? And as a basic introduction to rhythm games? That rush of breaking free of the game's level design by dribbling Samus like a heavily armed anti-gravity basketball has rarely been matched - it's both ridiculous and awe inspiring.

And when the designer is actually rewarding you for abusing their game mechanics, without breaking the game itself?

This kind of meta zen design is why the SNES could compete with the Genesis and Neo Geo, even if it couldn't touch them when it came to providing an arcade experience.

Runner-up: When the power of Queen's Flash Gordon soundtrack protects you in Vanguard.

Herschie

Re: What's your favorite power-up?

Postby Herschie » February 7th, 2020, 12:47 pm

I've always been quite particular for the big bananas that Diddy and Donkey Kong get in Mario Kart Double Dash. Leave them in front of a jump or on a narrow path and you can easily overcome the ten blue shells that hit you.

jon

Postby jon » February 7th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Boy is that a good question. I’m old school so I’m going with the fireball from Super Mario Bros.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 8th, 2020, 8:32 am

Anything that kills everything on the screen, like Mario's POW

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 8th, 2020, 10:43 am

Contra Spread gun. Makes a really really hard game only 'hard.'

Return to “Classic Gaming”