Kickman and Pink Panther prototypes

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Kickman and Pink Panther prototypes

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 8th, 2020, 8:52 pm

A longtime reader emailed me two "new" Atari 2600 prototype roms, apparently recently discussed in an Atari Age thread.

Kickman is one I remember from the early 80's. I always thought it was a neat concept and was bummed it was never released for a console. This prototype plays well but lacks the glitzy city background I remember from the arcade.

Pink Panther looks good but I'm not sure how to play it. There's a bad guy dropping bricks and you're trying to catch them. Can somebody tell me what the button does?

I plan to post reviews of these, although I normally don't post grades for incomplete games (NA instead). Maybe I should reconsider if the games are fully playable.

LuckyMan

Re: Kickman and Pink Panther prototypes

Postby LuckyMan » February 9th, 2020, 11:19 am

Here's a description of the gameplay on Atariprotos: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/pinkpanther/pinkpanther.htm The jumping controls are exactly the same as Smurf Rescue - press up to jump straight up, twice for a long jump and walk to the left or right and press diagonally for a small jump. You can also press down to duck, which is often necessary on the second screen.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 9th, 2020, 11:20 am

Thanks man! I also found this helpful YouTube video. I'm impressed this game has so many screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBFJNQiRhA

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » February 9th, 2020, 11:24 am

I agree. Plus a different tune on every screen. Quite amazing!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 9th, 2020, 11:50 am

As for Kickman, there was a clone released for the Atari computers called Pinhead. I've wanted to review that for some time, but I only see it in Ebay on cassette format, and I'm not going back to that!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » February 9th, 2020, 1:31 pm

the interesting thing is Pink Panther was going to be released by Probe 2000 which was Odyssey

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 23rd, 2020, 5:56 pm

I recently downloaded both these ROMS to play on my Atari Flashback portable, and I really like Kickman. But unfortunately, I cannot get the ROM for The Pink Panther to work. Is it because the ROM itself is defective? Or is it just not compatible with the Flashback portable...

Return to “Classic Gaming”