Console Future Values

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
MSR1701

Re: Console Future Values

Postby MSR1701 » February 14th, 2020, 9:05 am

ThePixelatedGenocide, that was one of the longest and most interesting post reads I've ever seen.

djc

Postby djc » February 14th, 2020, 1:26 pm

I've recently noticed an uptick in prices for TG-16 games and systems. Even the crappy/common games are selling in the $30-50 range now which is kind of crazy. Rare games like Darkwing Duck (why oh why didn't I buy you when I had you in my hand at Toys R Us for $20 in the early 90's???) are fetching several hundred dollars.

jon

Postby jon » February 14th, 2020, 4:29 pm

That Jag CD I was planning out outbidding everyone is now up to $850. So much for that idea.

MajorTom_Coming_Home

Postby MajorTom_Coming_Home » February 14th, 2020, 5:51 pm

jon wrote:I've always wanted a Jag CD and am going to pull the trigger. That's for personal enjoyment purposes. I was wondering if there are any consoles that might experience a huge jump in value in the next 10 years. I'm thinking the Jag CD will be one.

IMO, Jag CD won't see a huge increase in value since the library of actually good games is small. If I had to choose, the best console investmant is a Wii-U with the gamepad. It has lots of good games but did not sell well and the gamepad is a very specialized and complicated device. It only works on the Wii-U, it is integral to the console, and companies like Nyko are unlikely to produce a 3rd party replacement.

MajorTom_Coming_Home

Postby MajorTom_Coming_Home » February 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm

jon wrote:That Jag CD I was planning out outbidding everyone is now up to $850. So much for that idea.

IMO the Jag CD is much more of a collectible than a gaming console expansion. I would compare it to the Neo Geo. People spend many thousands to collect games that are easily emulated by the likes of a low end laptop. The NEO Geo has much more quality in it's library than the Jag CD which I think will hold prices in check in the long run. The best reason to collect the Jag CD is that it has Atari Logo stamped on it. However, I own an Atari 5200,XEGS, and Lynx so it's not like I haven't done the same thing LOL. :D

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 15th, 2020, 7:56 am

Since the Wii U sold relatively poorly, I wonder if it will eventually go up in value once we are a few generations ahead.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 15th, 2020, 9:41 am

jon wrote:That Jag CD I was planning out outbidding everyone is now up to $850. So much for that idea.

That’s the other problem. If you are interested in getting into the serious collecting game, be prepared to do battle with super nerds with deep pockets. Ebay is where all such nerds meet, so perhaps there’s better luck on the local scene.

Do members here still trade? I thought there was a subforum dedicated to that long ago...

That long post about games taking hours and hours to beat is very very interesting, and perhaps one of the biggest factors why modern games rarely interest me—my lifestyle demands “quick fixes” when it comes to gaming, which is why I often revert to things like Mario Kart and Smash....

Return to “Classic Gaming”