Collectorvision Phoenix?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
noah98

Re: Collectorvision Phoenix?

Postby noah98 » February 23rd, 2020, 6:35 pm

Atariboy wrote:
noah98 wrote:IThe great irony is that I already own a Mega SG, and with the custom firmware, it plays ColecoVision beautifully. Full 1080p, excellent sound, and a Sega Genesis arcade stick or wireless controller. The only downside is that they haven't made a cartridge adapter for it, so it's roms only.

There's a far worse issue in my book.

You can't use Colecovision controllers on it, despite the Genesis using the same style of Atari controller port. You instead need to use convoluted button shortcuts with a Genesis gamepad. Hitting the #9 keypad button for instance requires you to hit Y + Z + Down on a Genesis controller.

As a fellow Mega Sg owner, I've actually gone through my Colecovision romset and tried to delete all the games that rely on the keypad during gameplay. While it stung to lose some great games like Mouse Trap, I've only kept games that rely on the side buttons (with one or two exceptions like Defender that I felt played okay with the Mega Sg's keypad shortcuts).

At least they mapped the Genesis start button to keypad #1, so it's easy enough to start single player Colecovision games (And the mode button on the Genesis gamepad is keypad #3, which usually is the most difficult single player mode in Colecovision games).

Yeah, I can't understand why original controllers aren't supported yet. I mostly play Frenzy, Burgertime, Gorf, H.E.R.O., Pepper II, and Smurf, so I don't really need the keypad.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 23rd, 2020, 6:47 pm

All I can think of is that the way the controller ports are wired up for Genesis accessories makes it impossible to directly support Colecovision controllers. Too bad that the fpga couldn't also reconfigure that just like it does when it changes what core it's running.

I'd love to see someone produce Colecovison or Colecovision Flashback controller adapters for it, but no such luck. I would think it would be trivial for some of the smart minds in the classic gaming scene to make and produce an adapter that let's you press the 9 button on the Colecovision controller and have it be sent to the Mega Sg as if you had just pressed Y + Z + Down on a Genesis controller.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 24th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Okay guys, I PREORDERED my system! Now it's your turn! Help a brother out! Let's do this!

https://collectorvision.com/shop/coleco ... n-phoenix/

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 24th, 2020, 7:28 pm

Since your upcoming Collectorvision Phoenix can serve as its own built-in Colecovision flash cartridge, I have a heck of a download for you to grab. :)

https://atariage.com/forums/application ... ?id=679190

Here's the AtariAge thread where this download was posted.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/22883 ... eases-v20/

It's a full Colecovision romset (Excluding modern homebrew releases) and includes a folder specifically set up for the Phoenix. Just drop the Phoenix folder on a SD card when you get it, pop it into the Phoenix, and you'll have all the commercial releases from back in the day for when you don't feel like getting up and changing physical cartridges.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » February 26th, 2020, 10:15 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Okay guys, I PREORDERED my system! Now it's your turn! Help a brother out! Let's do this!

LOL -- working on it! Gotta convince the wife.

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 26th, 2020, 5:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Okay guys, I PREORDERED my system! Now it's your turn! Help a brother out! Let's do this!

If my power adapter comes soon and doesn't fix the problem, I'll order one too!

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » July 4th, 2020, 7:11 pm

I just happened to see that today is the last day to order this. I'm really tempted, but that price ... oof.

Trying to convince myself by telling myself that I could always get my money back on eBay if I'm not happy with it ...

noah98

Postby noah98 » July 5th, 2020, 7:51 am

I tried to fix my original Colecovision and I pretty much made it worse. Now only the Atari module works. I got another cheap original console on ebay and I have a modern power supply as well, but of course the RF picture is not so great (I AV modded my old one). I think I'm going to just leave this one stock and play Colecovision on my Mega SG. I finally got a DAC from Analogue, so now I can play Colecovision games on both hdmi and crt. It would be nice if I could use original controllers, but a Sega Genesis arcade stick controls better anyway, although using button combinations for the keypad is not ideal. Still, most of the best games don't even use the keypad. If I really need to use my original cartridges, I can always fire up the original console.

I almost preordered a Phoenix, but the price combined with the hdmi issues made me reconsider. There just aren't enough great Colecovision games for me to invest in the Phoenix when I already have other ways to play.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 5th, 2020, 7:56 am

I'm really looking forward to this arriving on my doorstep one day (fingers crossed)! It'll be like the 1970s when everything took 6-8 weeks for delivery, so by the time you got something you forgot what you had ordered.

Anyway I have a backup for most of my systems, but my one Colecovision barely works. It's like the Millenium Falcon, you need to knock it every now and then to keep the picture clear. So the Phoenix to me is kind of an insurance policy.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » July 5th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Not sure if it was all the fireworks set off last night by the neighbors giving me a case of temporary insanity or what, but I ended up pre-ordering this. I don't remember the last time I splurged on something, so I figured I deserved it :)

I'm really banking on the wrinkles being ironed out such as the HDMI issue, though it's a little worrying that it seems they haven't fixed it yet. But worst case scenario, I do have several TV's / monitors, so it should work on one of them, right? Right???

I'm also really hoping for support for systems beyond the Colecovision and 2600 (INTV, Odyssey 2, and Astrocade would be great), but if all they do is fix the technical issues, I'd be fine with that as my Colecovision has reached an NES-level of frustration when trying to get it to work properly.

Return to “Classic Gaming”