PS1 games compatible with audio CD's?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
astrodomekid

PS1 games compatible with audio CD's?

Postby astrodomekid » March 11th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Following on the "Classic CD-ROM games compatible with audio players" thread, I myself have gotten curious about which PS1 games out there can play any audio CD in your collection. If I remember correctly, you have to swap the game disc out during gameplay and insert a music CD of your choice and it should start playing automatically. The only game I read of that supports this little trick before I started trying it is KISS Pinball, but that game is also a piece of [expletive] no matter what CD (KISS or otherwise) you try playing.

I've only tried it with a couple of games so far. The first was "Ridge Racer Revolution". I fired up a race in the game and then paused to insert my copy of "Fired Up!". Took more than a few seconds to start playing the first track and it actually started several seconds into it rather than from the beginning and would also glitch out and back in a few times, but otherwise I was very impressed. I then tried it with an old favorite: "Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage", which I'm still waiting for the Critic to review BTW (sorry, I'm still on that). I loaded up one of my old save files, paused and inserted my copy of "Ten Summoner's Tales" by Sting, but sadly I didn't have the same luck. I tried letting the game sit and playing around in the level I was in waiting for the music to start like it did before, but that never happened.

Anyone know of any other games that I can try?

TheEagleXIII

Re: PS1 games compatible with audio CD's?

Postby TheEagleXIII » March 12th, 2020, 8:59 am

Vib-Ribbon is the classic example I remember. But that game was actually designed to do that, as the music determined the level designs – so I'm not sure if that's really what you're looking for :)

ActRaiser

Re: PS1 games compatible with audio CD's?

Postby ActRaiser » March 12th, 2020, 11:03 am

We did that on the original Ridge Racer for the Playstation back in the day.

I swear it was a "feature" that was in the game that let you do that sort of thing intentionally. I can't remember any other game supporting it though.

Speaking of playstation and cds, I did a quick search and discovered the PS4 doesn't actually play audio CDs. That's a bit crazy.

Return to “Classic Gaming”