AVGN: Mortal Kombat reviews

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

AVGN: Mortal Kombat reviews

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 15th, 2020, 10:53 am

I stumbled upon The Angry Video Game Nerd's latest video - a review of the original Mortal Kombat over multiple systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUtXD27UyQ

I love this. It really takes me back to an exciting time. Also, the Nerd always does a great job of pointing out obscure details that set the games apart. Very entertaining as usual.

I own all the Nerd's DVDs and while I'm used to watching his stuff on YouTube, I'd love to own his latest on Blu Ray. Do you think he'll release any more discs?

TheEagleXIII

Re: AVGN: Mortal Kombat reviews

Postby TheEagleXIII » March 15th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I was just a tad too young to fully appreciate the whole Mortal Kombat thing as it was happening, so just seeing the history of the hype around its initial release was cool. Stuff like that really puts across just how impactful something was at the time when it's easy to lose sight of that looking back.

jon

Postby jon » March 15th, 2020, 10:59 pm

In the summer of '94 I played a ton of Mortal Kombat 2, and it was probably my favorite arcade game ever besides the Neo Geo. The game was amazing. It made me really want to play MK1 but I never got to it. MK3 came out really soon, and I loved that in the arcades too, although the SNES port was horrible. It really questioned whether I wanted to get the home port of MK2 or MK1. I never got around to playing the first one other than perhaps maybe one time but MK2 was just unbelievable in the arcades. It was something that had to be experienced in '94. It was such a great game for that time.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2020, 6:32 pm

The hype surrounding each Mortal Kombat release was palpable. I remember I got the Genesis version on release day, and my friend Steve picked up the SNES. Had all the guys over my house to compare them. Each was good in its own way, so I think we were both satisfied.

Mortal Kombat 2 was just as big because the series was hitting its pinnacle. Funny, by the time MK3 came out me and my friends had lost interest in the series and moved on.

Now I need to review all the Game Boy Mortal Kombat games.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 18th, 2020, 12:00 pm

I think he hit the nail firmly on the head with his latest video regarding the MK1 games. And hopefully, he'll do a video on all the console releases for MK2 and MK3 sometime in the future...

Voor

Postby Voor » April 8th, 2020, 7:41 pm

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 8th, 2020, 7:51 pm

The Tattoo Assassins segment had me cracking up -- and seeing the AVGN cover Shadow: War of Succession was a treat. That one is a real candidate for the title of "worst officially-released console game I've ever played".

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 9th, 2020, 8:14 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:The hype surrounding each Mortal Kombat release was palpable. I remember I got the Genesis version on release day, and my friend Steve picked up the SNES. Had all the guys over my house to compare them. Each was good in its own way, so I think we were both satisfied.

Mortal Kombat 2 was just as big because the series was hitting its pinnacle. Funny, by the time MK3 came out me and my friends had lost interest in the series and moved on.

Now I need to review all the Game Boy Mortal Kombat games.

Yarp, all (4) GB/C, and the remaining GBA game(s).

I recall being very interested in MKII as a kid, and not as interested in MKIII aside from the ninjas and Sheeva (I really wanted to play as a Goro or Kintaro character in those games). I recently came across a few game magazines that were VERY harsh to MKIII as it was coming out, which is interesting, as most mainstream mags that I saw in my youth (GamePro, EGM, Nintendo Power) were usually favorable towards the MKIII games early on. I still say that GamePro's review of MKIII Game Boy was bollocks, though... I'd sooner play MKI GB or MK4 GBC before that travesty... (the soundtrack was decent, if very repetative).

jon

Postby jon » April 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Reviews should have been all over the place back in the day, but just honing in on a particular time like '94'-'95 the arcade versions of MK2 and MK3 were great. I went to the arcades a lot back then and actually games as far back as Arch Rivals from 1989 although I played it in the early 90's the NES port I'm sure would've been compromised. These games like MK2 and MK3 need to be thought of as arcade games first. If I had never played MK3 in the arcades and all I knew of it was the SNES port, I would've thought the game sucked. A lot of this happened with the Saturn too and the Model 2 ports which if kept in tact could've changed the console race. MK2 in the arcades was amazing. I've seen pictures of the ports for the Genesis for instance, and it just seems like a lot was probably taken out. Besides the Neo Geo, which was arcade perfect of course, the other 16 bitters were anything but arcade like. It was watered down gaming. And the games were made for an arcade joystick too, not an SNES or Genesis controller. It's funny I'll never remember seeing a Genesis in a Notorious Big video back in '94-'95 and I remember how the graphics were so inferior not just compared to the arcade, but to the 3d racing simulations and football games I was playing on the computer at that time. Presumably the PS1 MK3 looks like the best port, but I couldn't try it I just have too much love for the arcade versions. Sometimes I feel like playing MK2 on the Genesis but it's hard to. The watered down graphics and not using the arcade joystick make it borderline useless. I may purchase and MK2 or MK3 arcade cabinet one of these days.

djc

Postby djc » April 10th, 2020, 12:55 am

goldenband wrote:The Tattoo Assassins segment had me cracking up -- and seeing the AVGN cover Shadow: War of Succession was a treat. That one is a real candidate for the title of "worst officially-released console game I've ever played".

I don't know - that Kangaroo thing he just reviewed for the CD32 or the Town with No Name on the CDTV kind of take the cake for me for worst official titles.

Return to “Classic Gaming”