What's your favorite game in your least favorite genre?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ThePixelatedGenocide

What's your favorite game in your least favorite genre?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 22nd, 2020, 2:48 am

Let's be honest,most rhythm games lose all the best parts of dancing or really playing an instrument, while also offering Orwellian levels of personal creative expression.

Yes. Yes, it is.

But one musical game got past my defenses, despite all of the animal cruelty/body horror you'd expect from the genre.

It also ranks just above Resident Evil on my list of survival horror.

What about you guys? What are your exceptions to the rule, if any?

TheEagleXIII

Re: What's your favorite game in your least favorite genre?

Postby TheEagleXIII » March 22nd, 2020, 7:56 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:It also ranks just above Resident Evil on my list of survival horror.

This is hands-down my favourite thing I've ever heard anyone say about Vib-Ribbon. Like, quote on the box-art worthy. :lol:

Before you mentioned rhythm games, I wouldn't have even considered them. They tend to take up such a small percentage of games that I always see them more as novelties or I forget about them completely. I was gonna go with an FPS or fighting game, but thinking about it, rhythm games definitely fall below them for me. My favourite is easily:
The original seems to gets so much love and nostalgia, but for me, 2 is so much better and I feel it always gets unfairly overlooked. Like everything is improved and more polished, especially the music. PaRappa 1 and UmJammerLammy feel very dated, but everything about 2 is always fun, even now.

It was on a demo bundled with my PS2 back in the day, which featured the opening level/song "Toasty Buns" which is so damn catchy and upbeat it was impossible not to love.
https://youtu.be/70gtWveVuRg?t=167

The strength of that alone was enough to make me seek out the game, and I never played rhythm games outside of demos or very rarely at a friends house.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » March 24th, 2020, 1:09 am

I don’t play many strategy titles, but Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS rocked my world when I got it back when it came out. It’s extremely accessible, getting people married and forming relationships is actually important because it helps power up duos in your team, and the game’s plot and pace just suck me right in and turn “just 15 more minutes” into 2-3 hours.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 24th, 2020, 3:15 am

Hate JRPGs but love Earthbound.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 24th, 2020, 3:19 am

I really don't like (serious) racing games, except for Virtua Racing... or is that not considered a serious racing game?

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » March 24th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Not counting wrestling games because I actually enjoy those, Mario Strikers Charged is my favorite sports game for sure. Just so much addicting balls to the wall chaotic fun.

Despite my dislike of sports sims aside from wrestling games, I do love me a good arcadey or over the top sports game that's not realistic.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » March 24th, 2020, 6:41 pm

I don't really like sports games, but Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast is one of the best multiplayer games of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » March 25th, 2020, 4:39 am

Not really sure they can be counted as the same genre, but I'm not a fan of realistic sports games like Fifa, but I had a lot of fun with Dead ball zone on PS1.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » March 26th, 2020, 2:06 am

For normal genres(I don’t think I’ve ever completed a rhythm game) it’s JRPGs. I don’t like them. Or ROGs in general.

However, I love Panzer Dragoon Saga. It was an amazing experience in 1998. Free of pointless grinding, an actually interesting story and an elegant, fun combat system.

I’ll give Phantasy Star 4 an honorable mention in that I was able to at least finish it. Had some grinding, and too many palette swapped enemies but I didn’t need aFAQ to navigate the dungeons.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » April 3rd, 2020, 4:00 pm

I can't stand FPS games. I'm a hack n slash lover. However I love the Far Cry games.

Return to “Classic Gaming”