Old Gaming Magazines

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Old Gaming Magazines

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 25th, 2020, 3:14 pm

I don't get many paper game magazines now (only Retro Gamer) but over the last three decades I've subscribed to EGM, Game Pro, PSM, and others. Naturally I kept all those, now arranged fairly neatly in a closet in my basement.

The problem is, I'm getting to the point in my life when I feel like unloading some of this stuff. I had subscribed to Game Informer until recently, and the issues after 2009 were so dry they were hard enough to read the FIRST time. Now I have a huge bin on them.

I also have a bin of duplicate EGM/GamePro issues from the 1990's. To me, this was the pinnacle of the video game magazine boom. I've sent some of these out to moderators as gifts but since they tend to be thick and heavy, the postage is a bear.

I might try selling these on ebay. If anybody is interested in working out some arrangement let me know.

Tron

Re: Old Gaming Magazines

Postby Tron » April 25th, 2020, 8:11 pm

It’s a sad day when even the Critic is unloading old video game magazines.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » April 25th, 2020, 11:42 pm

Critic, I have to ask. Have you ever read Game Players Magazine back in the day? And if so, what did you think of it?

jon

Postby jon » April 26th, 2020, 12:39 am

There was a great poster here that sent a link to Edge Magazine I believe. There was one in 1995 talking about of all things the Apple Pippin I think. I was surprised how amazing that magazine was. It makes me think that it wasn't just Game Pro that was putting out good content. I'm particularly fond of the mid 90's magazines from just before the PS1 took over. It's funny now that I read those in mid '95 and it had all the systems, too many to name. And I didn't know about the PS1 back then. I thought all those other systems were battling for market share. Looking back now, it was evident the PS1 was going to take over. I now know that by mid '95 the PS1 was already very successful in Japan I guess. But back then it seemed like a wide open market. I believe there were mentions of the PS1 in those mid '95 mags but I didn't know what it was I don't think. That's what made it so exciting. Of course those same magazines in '97-'98 and it's the PS1 has 10 million games and the N64 has 2 good games, and there's the Saturn that no one wants. It definitely lost its pop by that time, maybe around '99.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 26th, 2020, 8:33 am

AVGN has done a few episodes on this topic. Some of my favorites.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 26th, 2020, 10:11 am

I don't believe I saw any called Edge. Yeah the 90's was a great time for gaming magazines, partially because there were so many systems, but also because the internet wasn't as ubiquitous. So magazines is where you got your news, reviews, and codes.

I would love to go back in time circa 1993 to a bookstore at the local mall and check out their video game magazine selection. I bet it was pretty massive. Heck, the magazines took up a whole wall of the store.

I remember doing this and seeing Road Rash reviewed in a Game Pro with all those red, excited faces. I immediately walked over to Electronics Boutique and bought it.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 26th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Last time I had a use for Game Informer was a few months ago and that was because I needed something to roll a blunt on.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 27th, 2020, 5:30 am

I used to subscribe to GamePro and EGM, the latter being my favorite. Last year I renewed my Gamestop PowerUp rewards which of course grants you a year subscription to Game Informer (a magazine I enjoyed). Needless to say I was massively disappointed when I learned (after I renewed) that they switched to an online magazine only. I have not read one issue and nor will I renew my membership this year. It is just not the same for me. I agree that magazines were great and plentiful in the 90's but the internet changed all of that...and not for the better!

I am surprised the VGC hasn't put together some sort of "game magazine special".

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 27th, 2020, 8:05 am

Not a bad idea!!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 27th, 2020, 10:25 am

lynchie137 wrote:Have you ever read Game Players Magazine back in the day? And if so, what did you think of it?

I only have one issue, from like 1995, but it's one of the best magazine issues I own. Wish I had more - it seems like it was a great magazine with a great sense of humor.

newmodelarmy wrote:Last year I renewed my Gamestop PowerUp rewards which of course grants you a year subscription to Game Informer (a magazine I enjoyed). Needless to say I was massively disappointed when I learned (after I renewed) that they switched to an online magazine only.

It's not online only. Someone must have been confused at Gamestop. I still get print issues delivered to my house and I just renewed my subscription online last week, and it still had the print option.

Return to “Classic Gaming”