Old Gaming Magazines

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retro STrife

Re: Old Gaming Magazines

Postby Retro STrife » April 27th, 2020, 10:26 am

I agree that the early to mid 90s were really the best era of gaming mags. EGM, Gamepro, Game Players, etc. They're great to go back and look at today. All of those magazines went downhill eventually though, even before dying off.

But one that I never understood the appeal of was Nintendo Power. It was kinda cool in the early days for tip and tricks, and little features like that, but I never trusted a single preview or review in that thing. It was all Nintendo propaganda. The same goes for any other magazine focused on a single system, like the Official PlayStation Magazine. Plus, even if they were unbiased, I got bored focusing on just one company.

Currently, I think Game Informer is the only normal print magazine going for modern games. I've been subscribed for several years, and it's not half bad. If you have a gaming website that you check regularly, there's really no point to a gaming magazine these days. But I don't go to any gaming websites anymore except this one, so Game Informer is where I get a lot of news/previews/reviews for new games. The writing is kinda dry, but it gets the job done. Personally, in the internet age, I think it's impossible for a current magazine to recreate what we had in the 90s. So I'm ok with GI for what it is.

jon

Postby jon » April 27th, 2020, 12:43 pm

That sounds very interesting a magazine special. Another thing about the mid ‘90s was the arcades. I wasn’t around for the early 80’s arcades heyday but I was for the early 90’s. Now the arcades were awesome even in the real early 90’s. But the most amazing times were from like ‘93-‘94 and a little into ‘95. Although by mid ‘95 there was this sense that it was kind of all over with because of the 3d systems coming out I guess. But, and it was a very specific time and it was a time when I was into it. I don’t think that many people were engrossed in that stuff in specifically ‘93-‘94. There was an explosion in the technicality of arcade games while also having standard 2d classics as well like MK2. But those early 3d type games from the Model 2 and others was just amazing.
In ‘93-‘94 there was this explosion in technology not just in video games but it was amazing in the arcades during that very specific time. And that was covered in magazines too.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 27th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Before you divest yourself of the magazines you should check retromags and see if you have any that haven't been archived yet.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 27th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Retro STrife wrote:But one that I never understood the appeal of was Nintendo Power. It was kinda cool in the early days for tip and tricks, and little features like that, but I never trusted a single preview or review in that thing. It was all Nintendo propaganda. The same goes for any other magazine focused on a single system, like the Official PlayStation Magazine. Plus, even if they were unbiased, I got bored focusing on just one company.

I very early on found that I'd rather read a mag that not only covers all the current platforms, but has ads for all the platforms rather than 10 page photos of screens to make level guides. Simply more interesting content and information rather than the curated marketing material of a house organ like NP.

It's why I still find value in browsing the old EGMs I have; I will 'discover' or at least be reminded of a game from a short review or ad and then go play it.

Although, the map of Metroid in NP #1 is why I was able to finish that game.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » April 27th, 2020, 7:52 pm

i loved those early 80s video game magazines those have some great memories for me

Den

Postby Den » April 27th, 2020, 8:33 pm

When I moved out of my parents' house in 1995, I had every Nintendo Power, EGM, GamePro and VG&CE published since the late 1980s. I threw them all out.

I regret it to this day.

Don't do it.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » April 27th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:Have you ever read Game Players Magazine back in the day? And if so, what did you think of it?

[quote="Retro STrife"] I only have one issue, from like 1995, but it's one of the best magazine issues I own. Wish I had more - it seems like it was a great magazine with a great sense of humor.

Definitely. It was my go to mag when it came to getting all the latest news, codes, walkthroughs and cheats for whatever games were coming out at the time. And the writers sense of humor was warped, to say the least. I have a bunch of issues of GP from early '94 to about late '96, and it's still fun to flick through them every now and then. It's kind of like going back in time to back when I was still in High School and didn't have a care in the world..

By the way, what issue do you have from 1995?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 28th, 2020, 11:19 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:If anybody is interested in working out some arrangement let me know.

I'll give them a good home. Digital just can't replace the sense of actually holding history.

But I wouldn't even begin to know what price to offer for them.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2020, 11:31 am

Pixelated (and anybody else) who is interested can send me an email on the outside to discuss terms (see feedback link)

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 28th, 2020, 12:51 pm

facepalms I...am horrible at this. Was I supposed to use the Facebook link? (Is that an E-Mail service?)

I think I just sent you a pm instead of an email. x. x

Return to “Classic Gaming”