Old Gaming Magazines

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retro STrife

Re: Old Gaming Magazines

Postby Retro STrife » April 28th, 2020, 1:20 pm

lynchie137 wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:By the way, what issue do you have from 1995?

I had to google it but it was this one from Feb. 1995:

I remember a bunch of good games being reviewed in that issue, but the only one I remember off the top of my head is Snatcher. I didn't get that issue in 1995, though. I bought it at a yard sale in like 1999, and liked looking through it as a glance back to a prior era. At that point the magazine was only like 5 years old, but 5 years seemed like a lot longer at that age.

EDIT: Looking at that cover, looks like they reviewed Phantasy Star IV in it too. Maybe I'll have to go grab it later and see how it compares to my review from last week.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2020, 1:54 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:facepalms I...am horrible at this. Was I supposed to use the Facebook link? (Is that an E-Mail service?)

I think I just sent you a pm instead of an email. x. x

Sorry, I don't use the private message service. Do don't have email?

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 28th, 2020, 3:01 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:If anybody is interested in working out some arrangement let me know.

I'll give them a good home. Digital just can't replace the sense of actually holding history.

But I wouldn't even begin to know what price to offer for them.

I bought a lot of classic EGM recently, the price worked out to about $3 per issue.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2020, 4:45 pm

It wouldn't be worth the trouble for $3 an issue. I think I'll just hold onto them.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 30th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Remember when they started encasing the mags in plastic bags so you couldn’t read them in the stores? Man I hated that. I remember looking at the fashion mags, hunting mags, auto mags and none of them were encased in plastic baggies. I remember being really offended by that like it was some sort of discrimination against video game players that they would do that.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 4th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:

I had to google it but it was this one from Feb. 1995:

I remember a bunch of good games being reviewed in that issue, but the only one I remember off the top of my head is Snatcher. I didn't get that issue in 1995, though. I bought it at a yard sale in like 1999, and liked looking through it as a glance back to a prior era. At that point the magazine was only like 5 years old, but 5 years seemed like a lot longer at that age.

EDIT: Looking at that cover, looks like they reviewed Phantasy Star IV in it too. Maybe I'll have to go grab it later and see how it compares to my review from last week.

Now that's an awesome cover shot. It just seems like it screams "BUY ME" as one would approach the newsstand back in the day, dosen't it?

jon

Postby jon » May 4th, 2020, 11:22 pm

The absolute apex of the magazines like Gamepro was in early to mid '95 right before the PS1 came out. There were updates on the "Ultra 64" which kept getting delayed. There was all the other systems. It was probably the best time ever as far as competition and a lot of systems being different. This time all I knew of 3d were the legendary Model 2 games. So I thought when the 3d consoles came out, they would look great just like the 3d arcade games did. It was a totally different animal by the late 90's when it was all about the PS1. After that I'd say Gamepro was also great around the time the 6th gen consoles came out, like '01-'02. The late 90's Gamepro magazines were good and exciting, just a notch down from before. Every year in the late 90's it got worse.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » May 5th, 2020, 2:55 am

speaking of gaming magazines the archive is back up
https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/RetroMags/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 5th, 2020, 10:26 am

Lynchie - yes this is the fun type of cover you never see on most modern game magazines. For the last 10 years or so Game Informer has insisted on some kind of tastefully rendered artwork with no text. First of all, it looks pretentious as hell, and second, it's annoying not knowing what the game is.

I should mention that Retro Gamer still has fun covers. They still "get it" and don't take themselves too seriously.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 5th, 2020, 1:34 pm

So I just picked up a set of these magazines off ebay (I know, I know) around the 1994/1995 timeframe, including the one pictured. Yeah, these are great. Very colorful and every page contains so much information! I feel like I'm in a time warp reading these, and I don't want to come home!

Return to “Classic Gaming”