Chef's Luv Shack (N64)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alucard1191

Chef's Luv Shack (N64)

Postby Alucard1191 » June 4th, 2020, 11:07 pm

Alright, so I found this cartridge in a box of donations at my wife's thrift store.

Honestly, games in general are very rare in our small town. Especially from the 90's.

Loading up this game it looks and sounds exactly like the show! A few little chuckles at the intro... and then... it is a trivia game. With occasional mini-games. Alright, I'm alright with that... lets see how it plays.

Holy crap, the controller just straight up doesn't work in the trivia part of the game. Going through menus, selecting topics, playing the mini-games. All of it works at that point, but selecting the answer to the question, it DOES. NOT. WORK.

So not matter what, unless the answer is the top answer, you get it wrong. This straight up makes the game not playable. F. Solid, solid F.

Frankly I don't even want to SELL this garbage at my store. I noticed this game isn't in your N64 section Critic, do you want it for free? I'll just send it to you. (Or a N64 collector if the Critic doesn't want it.) It is just a cartridge, no box or anything.

Alucard1191

Re: Chef's Luv Shack (N64)

Postby Alucard1191 » June 6th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Wow... I can't even give this thing away!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 6th, 2020, 9:08 pm

It was one hell of a sales pitch! LOL

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 7th, 2020, 3:17 pm

"This thing is total hot garbage, anyone want it?" Yep. I am working that hard sell!

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » June 9th, 2020, 3:00 pm

One of my friends had this on N64 and a bunch of us used to get together and play it. Like a lot. I can't comment on how good it actually was - we were 13-14 at the time and I don't totally trust my judgement/taste from that age unless I've had chance to revisit it! Either way we used to get a good amount of fun/laughs out of it.

Alucard1191 wrote:Holy crap, the controller just straight up doesn't work in the trivia part of the game. Going through menus, selecting topics, playing the mini-games. All of it works at that point, but selecting the answer to the question, it DOES. NOT. WORK.

So not matter what, unless the answer is the top answer, you get it wrong. This straight up makes the game not playable. F. Solid, solid F.

I don't ever remember us having this issue, though. Maybe you have a faulty cart? It's hardly a prized classic, but could explain why it ended up as a thrift store donation ;)

We played this game so much that we usually remembered all the answers and it always became a race who could select the answer first – so that can't have ever been an issue for us. I do remember a few of us swearing one of our controllers was randomly able to select things a fraction of a second earlier than the others, but when things get competitive amongst teens sometimes the sore loser in us all creeps out!

Of all the three South Park games released at the time, it was probably the best (although I was fond of South Park Rally too). It was at its most fun with 3-4 players. 2 was playable but a little boring, especially once you've experienced a full house. It's a shame there was no option for the AI to make up the numbers - 1 player is pointless. Mini games where fun, and I'm sure there's some humour that sailed over our heads at that age. After like 2-3 playthroughs you have seen all the trivia questions, though.

If you can find a fully working cart and a group of friends I'd say it's worth another look, especially if you are/were all fans of the show. Few beers would probably help too!

Return to “Classic Gaming”