Modded Genesis Mini

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 13792
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Modded Genesis Mini

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 5th, 2020, 9:33 am

I was browsing ebay and noticed people are selling modded Genesis minis loaded up with over 1000 games including Sega CD titles and pretty much the entire 32X library. For $170.

I don't know the legality of this, but man, that's a pretty good deal. Basically a complete retro collection you can play on your HD TV.

Voor
Posts: 981
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby Voor » June 5th, 2020, 10:57 am

Yeah, I believe every many system has been hacked to some degree. Interestingly, your can purchase thumb drives for the PS Classic that come in packs of 100 games for like $20 on amazon of all places. I almost bought one a while back, but moved on the something else.

User avatar
scotland
Posts: 2456
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby scotland » June 5th, 2020, 12:01 pm

This is so amazing. We used to have a person around here who would have a fit if we even talked about stuff like this.

With all this HD output retro-systems (hacked or not), what is happening to the value of vintage systems with A/V only output now? I've even encountered 'vintage' being renamed 'legacy', which in some fields is something of a pejorative word.

Buttermancan
Posts: 114
Joined: March 26th, 2019, 6:05 am

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby Buttermancan » June 10th, 2020, 1:27 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was browsing ebay and noticed people are selling modded Genesis minis loaded up with over 1000 games including Sega CD titles and pretty much the entire 32X library. For $170.

I don't know the legality of this, but man, that's a pretty good deal. Basically a complete retro collection you can play on your HD TV.


I can't see how it's not illegal to sell this stuff but buying it won't have the police knocking at your door. I know of people that have hacked their genesis mini and added the games themselves (roms). Not only can you add Genesis, 32X and Sega Cd but Snes, Nes, Ps1 etc

lynchie137
Posts: 264
Joined: November 15th, 2016, 6:46 pm

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby lynchie137 » June 10th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Buttermancan wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I was browsing ebay and noticed people are selling modded Genesis minis loaded up with over 1000 games including Sega CD titles and pretty much the entire 32X library. For $170.

I don't know the legality of this, but man, that's a pretty good deal. Basically a complete retro collection you can play on your HD TV.


I can't see how it's not illegal to sell this stuff but buying it won't have the police knocking at your door. I know of people that have hacked their genesis mini and added the games themselves (roms). Not only can you add Genesis, 32X and Sega Cd but Snes, Nes, Ps1 etc


That sounds pretty cool to be able to add so many games to the console. Not just Genesis games but from other platforms as well. But how is it possible to have that many games added to it? I mean, isn't there a limit to how much storage space is actually on a Genesis MIni?

ActRaiser
Posts: 918
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby ActRaiser » June 10th, 2020, 2:53 pm

lynchie137 wrote:
Buttermancan wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I was browsing ebay and noticed people are selling modded Genesis minis loaded up with over 1000 games including Sega CD titles and pretty much the entire 32X library. For $170.

I don't know the legality of this, but man, that's a pretty good deal. Basically a complete retro collection you can play on your HD TV.


I can't see how it's not illegal to sell this stuff but buying it won't have the police knocking at your door. I know of people that have hacked their genesis mini and added the games themselves (roms). Not only can you add Genesis, 32X and Sega Cd but Snes, Nes, Ps1 etc


That sounds pretty cool to be able to add so many games to the console. Not just Genesis games but from other platforms as well. But how is it possible to have that many games added to it? I mean, isn't there a limit to how much storage space is actually on a Genesis MIni?


Yes, the internal memory caps out at about 170 MB of available space. I ordered one last week and hacked it a few days ago to put on Project Lunar.

The other option is to put Hakchi on it. I think Hakchi lets you add support for USB thumb drives (and maybe Project Lunar) does as well. If you add a USB thumbdrive then you're giving up one of your two USB ports unless you also buy a USB splitter. But you could certainly add as many games you want.

I'm trying to keep this thing simple with just basic Sega stuff on it so Project Lunar is fine. You can overclock it as well which speeds up the performance of it. When it shipped there weren't support for folders so all the games are in a single list which slows things down. Overclocking it resolves that problem. The next Lunar update will provide folder support. The other reason I went with Project Lunar is that the art scraping is better compared to Hakchi so the games in the menus tend to look a bit better. It's not a big deal but it speeds up the process versus you having to find your own box art.

ActRaiser
Posts: 918
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby ActRaiser » June 10th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Another option

Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yi7SUluVGs

Direct Website for more Info https://www.truebluemini.com/trueblue-genesis/

It's called the True Blue Mini. It looks like some guys put everything you need on a thumbdrive, boxed it up, and mailed it out directly. On their website it lists retailers where you can order it. Based on the Youtube review and the comments I'd probably skip this one but it seems like the quickest method to hack your own Mini.

For under $40 you can get the thumb drive with 818 games on it. That may be worth it to some to avoid having to download your own ROM packs and it's cheaper than the eBay postings.

strat
Posts: 66
Joined: May 14th, 2015, 1:12 am

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby strat » June 10th, 2020, 10:51 pm

These "hacked" Genesis Minis are obviously Raspberry Pi systems slapped in a Genesis shell - basically like the real deal except there might be a quality issue somewhere (like say the controller). IMO, you're giving money to someone for distributing someone else's work they're not entitled to profit from. Better to make your own Retro Pi system even if it's a pain to find the goods.

TheEagleXIII
Posts: 95
Joined: December 22nd, 2019, 9:33 am

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby TheEagleXIII » June 11th, 2020, 4:12 am

ActRaiser wrote:Yes, the internal memory caps out at about 170 MB of available space. I ordered one last week and hacked it a few days ago to put on Project Lunar.

The other option is to put Hakchi on it. I think Hakchi lets you add support for USB thumb drives (and maybe Project Lunar) does as well. If you add a USB thumbdrive then you're giving up one of your two USB ports unless you also buy a USB splitter. But you could certainly add as many games you want.

I'm trying to keep this thing simple with just basic Sega stuff on it so Project Lunar is fine. You can overclock it as well which speeds up the performance of it. When it shipped there weren't support for folders so all the games are in a single list which slows things down. Overclocking it resolves that problem. The next Lunar update will provide folder support. The other reason I went with Project Lunar is that the art scraping is better compared to Hakchi so the games in the menus tend to look a bit better. It's not a big deal but it speeds up the process versus you having to find your own box art.


Project Lunar still supports a USB drive in its current state, so if you wanted to add a Sega CD game to the stock UI you can. A temporary work around until there's folder support is using the Emulation Station mod/add-on. It's pretty neat - but everything will launch through RetroArch, the UI is functional but isn't as convenient for browsing (it's basically a list) and it requires a separate app called Skraper to easily add the box art/metadata. It still has some pretty cool features, though.

Both Project Lunar and Hakchi also have OTG support - meaning you can plug your USB in the back of the system with the power cable and free up that 2nd controller port. :)

I was using Project Lunar, but I've recently switched to Hakchi. Long story short, I had to do a Uninstall/Reinstall and some old settings affected me launching some games through the stock UI. One guy who did try to help couldn't remember the fix, but finding that file affecting it is like finding a needle in a haystack and I didn't get any help - not even acknowledgement - from any of the actual PL team on Reddit or the discord. It all kinda soured me a little to Project Lunar. I was 50/50 on which to use in the first place – and I eventually got impatient and made the switch.

I'm much preferring Hakchi. The differences between them aren't that major - but obviously Hakchi already has folder support. It also allows you to launch ANY game into RetroArch from the stock UI by holding start - whereas Lunar requires you to set this up on the desktop app when you add the game (you also have this option in Hakchi). The other advantage Hakchi has is you can edit your game's info and actions after you've uploaded them - whereas PL requires you to remove the game and then re-add it. Doesn't seem like a big deal at first, but if you discover like 20 games that don't launch into the stock emulator, you gotta note them down, remove them, re-add them, re-scrape, and set each one individually to launch into RetroArch from the UI. Same if you notice anything about it you wanna change - except the game's name on the UI. Hakchi also lets you edit your games/folders without having the console plugged in - so you can work offline essentially. The scraper has been improved, but it isn't as good as Project Lunar's and doesn't contain any official spine art - but this is all a small sacrifice personally, and the workaround for the spines (it uses template and scrapes the logo) is acceptable. At the moment it is way more customisable - you can edit the splash screen, the UI theme, the folder icons, the background music. Sorting folders is also incredibly easy and simple and intuitive.

The Project Lunar desktop app looks much nicer, whereas Hakchi feels like a Windows 98 programme - but Lunar runs and syncs slower for me. That's a big deal cos I'm on Mac having to run these programmes through Virtual Box which slows everything down any way. Hakchi requires you to store and keep your games on your computer before transferring to a USB and even afterwards, whereas Lunar can put them straight to the USB, saving space on your computer.

Overall, Lunar just felt like it was always one tiny problem away from not working properly, it feels very... sensitive when I'm actually playing it, and sometimes even booting up was an issue. I was also disappointed by the lack of support - despite it having more obvious channels than Hakchi for it. I had some issues getting Lunar working at first (cos I'm using a Mac) and no-one from the Lunar team helped. I later found out the guy who did help advise me was actually the main guy from the Hakchi team. The Lunar team also seem quite distracted working on Project Eris for the PS Classic, if I'm honest. Don't get me wrong, these guys have done a great job, for free, and I'm sure further down the line Lunar will be fantastic - but progress just feels slow. All those minor advantages Hakchi has really have added up for me - but I can easily see why some might prefer Project Lunar.

newmodelarmy
Posts: 218
Joined: January 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby newmodelarmy » June 11th, 2020, 5:12 am

Probably a stupid question but is it illegal to purchase a modded Genesis Mini?


Return to “Classic Gaming”