Murder! (Atari ST/Amiga)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
TheEagleXIII

Murder! (Atari ST/Amiga)

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 7th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Did anyone else ever play this game?

I'm working mostly from memory and a few clips I checked out on YouTube - but its one of those games I'd love to go check out again. I was way too young to fully appreciate it... and maybe too young to have played it all.

Seriously. The opening title screen of the game is a silhouetted mansion in a thunderstorm and then the most high pitched blood curdling woman's scream you could possibly muster up on such a now-dated sound chip. I actually remembered it - but when I watched the clip I was surprised how graphic it sounds. Guess the innocence of childhood never let it affect me or picture what possibly was happening inside the house.

Anyway, it always intrigued me. It felt like a Clue(do) sim for pros. You're at a fancy ball/party in a mansion and a guest has been murdered and you gotta find out who did it. I always presumed you were an investigator who just happened to be at the party, Paroit/Muder She Wrote/Diagnosis Murder, etc style. It seemed like it was set in the late 1800s - early 1900s as it's in black and white/sepia... and the police don't turn up. The body is left where it's discovered, uncovered, for the entire game and the guests just mull about whilst you conduct your investigation.

You go around questioning guests and gathering fingerprints and items as evidence that can provide clues or motives. The party guests will swerve you the wrong way by contradicting themselves, others and basically being dicks like smudging their fingerprints on items just before you can pick them up, which does nothing but arouse suspicion.

I was pretty young and don't ever remember correctly solving a scenario. It seemed pretty sophisticated for its time, but I don't know how it would have stacked up had I been older.

TheEagleXIII

Re: Murder! (Atari ST/Amiga)

Postby TheEagleXIII » July 10th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Went and found a few images. Including the box art which I always thought was pretty cool. It really shows an homage to classic film noir and good ol' fashioned 'private dick' movies – I believe they used to be referred as. ;)

I don't remember much else but unlike the 'report' on the box, the screenshots suggest the victim is different each time. I also like the isometric viewpoint, although I never made the connection before how it kinda looks like a Sims Murder Mystery Party Expansion pack. :P

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 11th, 2020, 1:59 pm

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/murder/

Fascinating. A mystery game with a mystery of its own...

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » July 16th, 2020, 7:44 am

Fascinating story. I read the link as well. The isometric graphics look great. Id like to try this

Return to “Classic Gaming”