The best first levels.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
strat

Re: The best first levels.

Postby strat » August 2nd, 2020, 8:29 pm

Doom - even though I've never beaten it, I can still see how well-constructed the first level is with the rising floor to the shotgun, narrow trail over acid pit and view of the outside hellscape. Really shows you what the game is about.

Zelda - it doesn't have "levels" in an action game sense but the first time I played it I instinctively went right, followed the trail to the first dungeon and found it full of skeleton knights, horned monsters with boomerangs, demon hands and a scary-sounding unicorn boss. There's a chance someone could discover level 2 or 3 first but the overworld map was clearly laid out with a lot of thought.

Goldeneye N64 - One of the cooler things about this game was the outside environments with mini-buildings scattered around. Like the pillboxes and guard towers in the dam area. Plus that beautiful in-engine cutscene of him rappelling off the dam.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » August 3rd, 2020, 10:24 am

I remember playing the first level of "Viewtiful Joe" over and over again on the Gamecube when it came out just to enjoy the mechanics...it still represents something unique/special all these years later. I also really liked the first level of the first "Sly Cooper" game on the PS2. Finally, to this day I still enjoy replaying the first level of "Jumping Flash" on the PS1. The entire game is great, but I think the first level has all of the elements that make it so.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » August 3rd, 2020, 11:36 am

Sonic 1, 2 and 3 came to mind. Especially the original.

Tomb Raider had a great first level with exciting cinematic and great music, followed by easy platforming and tomb booby traps, then wolves, and a bear! The sense of archeological exploration and action was so fun.

I think many of the early 90s 3D games grabbed us right from the first level because we couldn't believe what we were experiencing. Playing Daytona, Wipeout, and Panzer Dragoon at home comes to mind. It isn't that their 1st levels were extra special compared to the rest of the games, but that's how it felt because it was new. Like Crazy Taxi - it doesn't have levels, but who didnt smile with joy the first time they shot down the hilly street and jumped over a bus!

Return to “Classic Gaming”