Crisis Force (NES) - "one of the best shooters ever made"

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retro STrife

Crisis Force (NES) - "one of the best shooters ever made"

Postby Retro STrife » August 4th, 2020, 1:58 pm

I'm not a huge fan of shooters, but I'm intrigued by this Japan-only release -- Crisis Force.

Before today, I had never heard of it. I was reading a list of 100 Best NES Games of All-Time, and it was listed at #10, beating out many obvious classics. The writer called it "one of the best shooters ever made" and said it "even manages to make most SNES shmups look bad." A quick google search led me to other rave reviews. One review said "Crisis Force is an amazing achievement, both technically and mechanically.... With its fantastic presentation and tight gameplay Crisis Force is a must have in any NES library." I couldn't find any negative takes. And it looks good in the screenshots too.

Unfortunately the game is a bit pricey, approaching the $100 range. But has anyone here played it before? I'd be interested to hear how it is for the casual shmup fan. Or if nothing else, I figured it'd be a good one to nudge the VGC to consider for a review..

Image Image

snakeboy

Re: Crisis Force (NES) - "one of the best shooters ever made"

Postby snakeboy » August 5th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Thanks to owning an NES flash cart, I have played this, but I haven't played it enough to give you a definite opinion on how great it is. I'm not a big shmup fan either, and I usually prefer side-scrollers to vertical ones.. However, I do remember being pretty impressed by it, and I think anyone who grew up playing something like Tiger-Heli might be in for a surprise.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 5th, 2020, 3:47 pm

I checked on ebay, and the only NTSC version I could find was on the China-made 26-in-1 Konami cartridge. For $31, it might actually be worth it??

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 5th, 2020, 4:20 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I checked on ebay, and the only NTSC version I could find was on the China-made 26-in-1 Konami cartridge. For $31, it might actually be worth it??

Sounds like a good deal, as long as that cartridge actually is legit with the full version of the game on it. Anyone know?

There wouldn't be an NES version, as it was Famicom only. Released only in Japan. (I probably shouldn't have put NES in my topic title, as it's a bit misleading.)

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » August 5th, 2020, 7:43 pm

If the 26 in 1 works - and the seller has a pretty good feedback rating so I imagine they're not ripping people off - I would say go for it, especially considering a repro cart would probably cost almost twice as much. (But then again I would recommend a flash cart, which would open up a whole world of Famicom games that never made it to the U.S. :) )

From the game list though, it looks like it's actually only about a 12 in 1 cart with most games appearing multiple times with different language versions. However, there are definitely some other games here that you'll want to check out like Gradius II, Kid Dracula, and Parodius Da.

Return to “Classic Gaming”