PhillyClassic Memories

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

PhillyClassic Memories

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2020, 8:34 am

All this talk about AtariAge triggered some long lost memories of my trip to PhillyClassic in the early 2000's. It was me and C64 Critic (Scott) traveling ALL THE WAY UP TO PHILLY from Maryland. In addition to buying games we were also intent of trying a real Philadelphia Cheese Steak (TM).

So I vaguely remember the convention was in some kind of hotel conference room. I ran into Al of Atari Age there. The only reason I know it happened in the early 2000s was because I remember some guy was trying to arrange a Tekken tournament (without much success).

I terms of merchandise I made out very well. I must have spent a few hundred bucks! I think my biggest finds were the 3D glasses for the Sega Master System (in box!) and an Atari 5200 multicart (which I bought from that Sean guy). Between me and Scott we filled my trunk.

Afterwards we ventured downtown to Ginos which was a famous cheesesteak place right across the street from Pats, another famous cheesesteak place. Ginos is known for its gruff attitude. Walk up to the window and the old guy says "WHADDAYA WANT?" He's like the soup nazi. After ordering the guy in front of me yells "GIMME NAPKINS!" and the old guy practically threw them at him. The cheesesteak was fine but some kind at work advised me to order it "with provolone" instead of the standard Cheez Whiz, and I regret that because I wanted the real McCoy.

The only other classic gaming convention I went to was one in King of Prussia mall (also in PA) a few years later.

Retro STrife

Re: PhillyClassic Memories

Postby Retro STrife » August 21st, 2020, 9:40 am

Always good memories from conventions. Never heard of that one, I wonder if it's still around. Back in those days, it was so hard to find a retro gaming convention.. the hobby was so niche that only a few existed in the US. Now they're starting to pop up around the country, and they're evolving and usually getting better. I think the popularity of comic-cons has also helped lead to organizers do more conventions in other "nerd" areas, like video games. It has made people realize that they are popular and profitable enough to put in the effort.

I'm surprised you haven't been to other conventions in recent years! You're missing out. This year sucks - they're pretty much all canceled. But normally I try to do one or two a year.. it's just something fun to look forward to.. events, tournaments, freeplay areas, and panelists to keep you occupied.. and a good place to blow a few hundred bucks on retro games. Just browsing tons of vendors for hidden gems makes it worth it to me. I also try to do one pinball/arcade convention a year too.

On the east coast, Retro World is a good convention in CT- been around for about 5 years and I always look forward to that one. Long Island Retro Gaming Expo is supposed to be huge, and excellent. Replay FX in Pittsburgh also looks amazing (for real, just look at this website: https://replayfx.org/). PinFest in Allentown, PA is the biggest pinball convention I know of in the northeast. Pintastic in MA is also good. And that's just off the top of my head -- there's much more, and probably many closer to Maryland.

Retro STrife

Re: PhillyClassic Memories

Postby Retro STrife » August 21st, 2020, 9:50 am

I did some googling after you piqued my curiosity. Judging by this thread, sounds like the PhillyClassic convention is long gone:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/23479 ... y-classic/

However, Too Many Games is still going strong in that same area. It's a yearly convention in Oaks, PA, running since 2004, making it one of the longest running in the country. I almost traveled to it in the mid-2000's, before conventions started popping up closer to me.

EDIT: Sounds like Philly Classic started around 1999, and ran yearly til the mid-2000s. Here's some good pics that might bring some flashbacks:

https://www.handheldmuseum.com/Conventi ... index.html
http://www.parrygamepreserve.com/articl ... lassic.php

Imagine the prices on all those rare games... That's when Panzer Dragoon Saga sold for $100 and everyone thought it was the most outlandish thing they'd ever heard.

Return to “Classic Gaming”