No Genesis A+ Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Breaker

Re: No Genesis A+ Games?

Postby Breaker » August 30th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Purely in a personal level, I'd put Pirates! Gold and PGA Tour Golf III as A+ games. NHL...97? 94? 98? One of those also. But I've played them all so much it's hard to pick. Probably a Madden, too. Maybe even College Football 97 and World Series Baseball 95.

If nothing else, my choices reflects why I chose the Genny over the SNES. I thought the Genesis handled sports games better, and I love sports games on that system.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 31st, 2020, 4:09 pm

An A+ game for the Genesis? i would definitely have to go with NHL '96. To me, it still holds up very well today. And in my mind, it is one of the best if not the best sports game on the console..

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 1st, 2020, 4:53 pm

Breaker back in the 90s I was also a huge fan of Pirates Gold. however I played it recently and it just did not seem as fun as my memory of it did. It's still a good game but for some reason I just didn't enjoy it as much. Maybe it had to do with the wind when the sailing . It got laborious for me sailing against the wind and it took forever to get anywhere when doing it. Glad you still enjoy it.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » September 1st, 2020, 7:57 pm

matmico399 wrote:Breaker back in the 90s I was also a huge fan of Pirates Gold. however I played it recently and it just did not seem as fun as my memory of it did. It's still a good game but for some reason I just didn't enjoy it as much. Maybe it had to do with the wind when the sailing . It got laborious for me sailing against the wind and it took forever to get anywhere when doing it. Glad you still enjoy it.

I tried playing this as well recently. I remember playing it as a kid on my C-64 and had fond memories of it. I must had more patience back then because after giving it a fair shot for a few hours I just could not get into it.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » September 5th, 2020, 8:59 am

Phantasy Star IV was one of my prized games when I owned a Genesis back in the day. My friends owned a Super Nintendo and while they agreed Phantasy Star IV was good they firmly believed that the RPGs on the SNES were better.
On the flip side I had a copy of Gunstar Heroes that really was a showcase for the system. I'd put a vote in for that game to be an A+. It has character, and action/visuals that really wasn't found on run-and-gun games on other systems from the era (SNES, TurboGrafx-16). If I had to pick one game that said the Genesis was worth investing in, I'd probably go with this one.

GTS

Postby GTS » September 5th, 2020, 9:56 am

The Genesis is my favorite system. To be honest though, I wouldn't give any an A+. Maybe Warsong. My list would still have lots of A's, more than any other system.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 11th, 2020, 9:22 am

Not an A+ game.. but definitely a hidden gem.. I just noticed that there's no review of Flicky. Great classic arcade platformer from the 80s.. Might be worth a look for a new Genesis review.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 11th, 2020, 11:31 am

Flicky is solid. I would say A/B+ range for me. It shows up on a lot of compilations. You play as a bird trying to gather chicks and avoid the cat in these quick, maze-like levels. Pretty fun.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 12th, 2020, 10:52 am

This thread really caught my attention. The Genesis is arguably (argue with myself?) my favorite console of all time. And no A+ games at all? Since most of my reviews were written DECADES ago I feel like I'm viewing this as a third party observer.

I think there's a feasible explanation. Maybe the quality of games for the system is so consistently high it's hard to stand out? Even though there were many fine titles mentioned here in this thread, I don't think reach the flawless level of A+.

The one exception may be NHL 94. I wrote my review in 2003. At that time my review collection was still coming together and I probably was not used to giving out A+ grades. The game has held up remarkably well over the years. Do you think my friends want to play the latest EA NHL game when they come over? Hell no - they want NHL 94.

But with winter upon us I think I may need to reassess whether NHL 94 deserves an A+.

Thoughts?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 12th, 2020, 9:45 pm

I think NHL 94 is certainly a worthy candidate. I'll be interested to see if any new reviews (or re-reviews) get that extra little bump!

Return to “Classic Gaming”