No Genesis A+ Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Hagane

Re: No Genesis A+ Games?

Postby Hagane » August 24th, 2020, 1:44 pm

IMO the only Genesis game which deserves an A+ is Sonic 3, fantastic game.

About some great Genesis games:

Street of Rage 2 - The gameplay is so slow, it just didn't age that well, maybe because I used to play Final Fight 3 and its fast gameplay, the music however is fantastic, even thou I prefer the music on SOR1.

Gunstar Heroes - Amazing, but that board game part is soooo boring, it ruins the pace of the game.

Shinobi III - Awesome game, but still not A+ material.

Sonic 2 - Not as great as Sonic 3.

Phantasy Star IV - Amazing RPG but not as great as FF6 or Chrono Trigger.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » August 24th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Voor wrote:I wonder if because the SNES had better versions of some of those games?

I can assure you that the Genesis version of NHL 94 is superior to the SNES version in every way.

And it definitely is an A+ in my books. The pinnacle of sports games, in just their third iteration of the series.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 24th, 2020, 2:35 pm

I guess it is sort of notable that almost all the other mainstream systems have 2 or 3 A+ reviews and the Genesis doesn't.

My #1 choices for the most flawless, fun games on the system would be Road Rash and NBA Jam: Tournament Edition. Those games just never get old. It's also hard not to consider a Sonic game for that spot. Another possibility I haven't seen mentioned is Mortal Kombat II.

But on the VGC's list of Top 50 Console Games, a few Genesis games did make the cut: Sonic 2 (#4); NHL '94 (#10); the first Streets of Rage (#18); and Road Rash (#31). (NBA Jam: TE also made the list at #19, but for the SNES version.)

With Sonic 2 ranking at #4 overall, maybe it's worthy of that A+ bump. NHL '94 or any of those others would be good choices too.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » August 24th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Lucifixion wrote:
Voor wrote:I wonder if because the SNES had better versions of some of those games?

I can assure you that the Genesis version of NHL 94 is superior to the SNES version in every way.

And it definitely is an A+ in my books. The pinnacle of sports games, in just their third iteration of the series.

Totally, I love the SNES but when it comes to sports games, especially EA's NHL series, it could not hold a candle to the Genesis versions. I am not sure how many games I played on the NHL series, probably about two or three thousand easy! It is honestly the only reason I owned a Genesis as I was mostly a PC gamer during the early 90's.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » August 28th, 2020, 10:04 am

Retro STrife wrote:But on the VGC's list of Top 50 Console Games, a few Genesis games did make the cut: Sonic 2 (#4); NHL '94 (#10); the first Streets of Rage (#18); and Road Rash (#31). (NBA Jam: TE also made the list at #19, but for the SNES version.)

With Sonic 2 ranking at #4 overall, maybe it's worthy of that A+ bump. NHL '94 or any of those others would be good choices too.

This is probably the most rational look at the topic. VGC has put two Genesis games in his Top 10 console games ranking. I'd think one or both of them deserve the A+ mark.

Personally, I think NBA Live 95 should get strong consideration. That game re-imagined 5-on-5 basketball for video games, and it is still a blast to play today. Fast and smooth.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » August 28th, 2020, 10:50 am

Great discussion with very interesting comments. Game preferences are highly individual, but if I was asked I would say a sure A+ title on the Genesis is "Herzog Zwei"...especially if you have another person to play against who is willing to learn how the game works. I think it's relative stature is also raised by the fact that you can't play it on any other system.

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 28th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Shinobi 3
Bill Walsh '95
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania Bloodlines

These would be my A+ contenders.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » August 28th, 2020, 7:18 pm

I would probably rate many games at least an A or A- , but to me the following are games I always loved and I can always go back and play them again. They give enough content, I still remember being surprised and excited by them back in the day, and are well programmed and entertaining. My A+ Genesis list:

Streets of Rage 2
Sonic and Sonic 2
Flashback
Mickey Mania
Super Monaco GP
Super Hang On
Earthworm Jim
MUSHA
Road Rash

Greendog
( okay, just kidding about this one!)

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 29th, 2020, 3:22 am

Sega Megadrive/Genesis games I'd rate A+:
SOR2 - I still love this one the most, even more than SOR4 and SOR Remake, which both are excellent as well. I don't know, it's just the visual style, the amazing music and the flow of the game combined.
Sonic 2 AND Sonic 3 - both amazing games in their time and still... or is that nostalgia?
Rocket Knight Adventures - this game makes me like a kid again, it has such a good flow and variation. Unfortunately that the sequel (Sparkster) sucked.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 29th, 2020, 4:56 pm

I have two games. Streets of Rage 2 and RoboCop Vs Terminated. I'm very surprised no one talks about the latter. It is absolutely the best shooter available on the system. Fantastic gameplay.

Return to “Classic Gaming”